Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Fresh new paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Originally Posted by TOGWT
I do understand that heat will help the paint solvents to evaporate (outgas) that’s why most modern paint/body shops use an oven. The problem I would have with leaving a freshly painted car outside to ‘bake’ in the sun is that heat will expand the plastic (polymer) paint allowing the ingress of pollutants.

I also realize that most fresh paint is ‘protected’ with a ‘paint safe’ glaze, but 180oF heat and they’ll melt away, one rain and they wash away . . .(thinking aloud) I guess the answer would be to apply a polymer (like Zaino) as they are heat resistant, allow the solvents to outgas and being chemical brothers with the paint will expand at the same rate
JonM
Eric, just follow the advice of the paint guy.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C
If you dont mind can I please have the contact information because I would like to get my trunk painted

ja2000@gmail.com
Old 07-27-2005, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by 190 E 2.3
If you dont mind can I please have the contact information because I would like to get my trunk painted

ja2000@gmail.com
do you want the contact info of the guy in tj?

i can give u their addy and what paint to ask for. mine was "the best" they do down in tj. for what that is worth i have no idea what it means.

i also took pics of the place to help one locate the place and i have a map. let me know what you need and i can post it on this thread.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:35 PM

C
Originally Posted by AMG_Eric
do you want the contact info of the guy in tj?

i can give u their addy and what paint to ask for. mine was "the best" they do down in tj. for what that is worth i have no idea what it means.

i also took pics of the place to help one locate the place and i have a map. let me know what you need and i can post it on this thread.
Can you give me the address please and the pictures would be great as well. Thanks
Old 11-12-2005, 01:28 AM

I drive a 1991 190e 2.3 and I also own a 2001 ML320
Congrats the car looks great. When I first read, all they had done I was sure you were going to say that you paid 3-4K dollars. Good looking car. I've been wanting to get my car painted but I was discouraged by the prizes. I would greatly appreciated if you could email me that info on this shop. I live in Menlo Park CA but for a paint job that good I definetly be willing to travel the 10 hours or so that it takes to go to TJ. Thanx my email address is perunica@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by PERUNICA; 11-12-2005 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by PERUNICA
Congrats the car looks great. When I first read, all they had done I was sure you were going to say that you paid 3-4K dollars. Good looking car. I've been wanting to get my car painted but I was discouraged by the prizes. I would greatly appreciated if you could email me that info on this shop. I live in Menlo Park CA but for a paint job that good I definetly be willing to travel the 10 hours or so that it takes to go to TJ. Thanx my email address is perunica@sbcglobal.net
i dont know how good is good. it isnt what i was promised. i made them do a lot of things after the fact. i even made them repaint 3 different panels and 2 doors. the paint is kinda thin and they swirl marked the living crap outta the paint.

for the mean time it works for me. i think i will redo it once the clear coat comes apart again.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Originally Posted by AMG_Eric
i dont know how good is good. it isnt what i was promised. i made them do a lot of things after the fact. i even made them repaint 3 different panels and 2 doors. the paint is kinda thin and they swirl marked the living crap outta the paint.

for the mean time it works for me. i think i will redo it once the clear coat comes apart again.
Damn, only after ~4 months and already ack to the shop? I'm sorry to hear, man.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by MBE55AMG
Damn, only after ~4 months and already ack to the shop? I'm sorry to hear, man.
yah tell me about it. the bumper cover is riddled with little chips from the rocks on the freeways. i didnt have time to get a clear bra on it before it started to chip. i might just have the bumper repainted and then have a clear bra put on it next year.