Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

help with dull finish on paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 08:49 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with dull finish on paint

recently I noticed the paint of 3 door panel look dull compared to the rest of the car. usually I will see a clear mirror like finish on the car, especially after waxing, but now some parts of dull and the mirror like finish is not as clear. any suggestions how to fix this. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz w124
hmm, without pictures its hard to determine exactly what you need. but my guess would be that you should do this

1. wash your car
2. clay your car
3 wash again to get anythign that you may have missed
4. polish with Meguiars #80 speed glaze on a g100 or a rotary buffer
5. apply Meguiars #9 show car glaze to the dull area and leave it on for an hour ( long if you want "better results" remember that paint can only be taken to a certain level, reapplying it every 2 hours will not make it better every time. it stops after a while. )
6. top if off with the wax of your choice.

you can skip step 4 if you want.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
5. apply Meguiars #9 show car glaze to the dull area and leave it on for an hour ( long if you want "better results" remember that paint can only be taken to a certain level, reapplying it every 2 hours will not make it better every time. it stops after a while. )

Just for my edification, I am not trying to challenge or start an argument. My question is this, why would you leave a glaze on a clear coat? I’ve heard of this method being used on an oxidized single stage paint but not on a clear coated paint system.

FWIW- Hazing:
Smearing or a dull look to the paint film surface after removing residue usually occurs when there is an excess of product applied in high humidity conditions and moisture is trapped between the fast drying top layer and the lower layer of the hydroscopic wax. The paint films surface temperature being cooler than the outside air accelerates this process by allowing the top layer of wax to harden before the lower level.

To elevate this allow more time for the wax to completely set-up (dry) before removal. Alternatively lightly spray the surface with distilled water, the excess wax will adhere to the water droplets and can then be wiped away with 100% cotton micro fibre towel (See also Smearing)
JonM