Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How to clean only my Java leather, and seats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CL55
How to clean only my Java leather, and seats?

I am looking for a safe product I can use to quickly clean the Java interior of my 2005 CL55. Java gets dirty very fast, and I don't have time to condition the leather as often as it gets dirty. As well I am looking for a safe product to take time to condition the leather too.

Thanks in advance!!

Mark
Old 09-15-2005, 11:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Cleaning- use a soft horse hair brush (Groit's Leather & Interior Brush) and/or a vacuum to remove any dust, apply a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 6:1 ratio or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back). To remove stubborn dirt or grime gently agitate the surface with a boar's hair cleaning brush (this will not harm the leather) then use a clean, damp Microfiber towel to rinse.

Maintenance cleaning- use a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite® or Dreft® 10:1 ratio) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time

Stubborn stains- dependent upon the leathers condition or how dirty it is consider using a leather-cleaning product. (Leatherique's Prestine Clean, Groit's Leather Cleaner or Autoglym Leather Cleaner)

Initial conditioning - for the initial conditioning of new leather, or leather you are cleaning for the first time use a Leather Rejuvenator. (http://www.Leatherique.com) Pay particular attention to area that are exposed to the most UV radiation, i.e. backs of headrests, seat shoulders, and then apply to the rest of the seating surfaces starting at he top and working your way down.

Allow the product to be absorbed into the hides for several hours on a sunny day, or overnight. Warmth makes the leather fibres pores open allowing the proteins and collagens to be absorbed readily. Park the car in direct sunlight, cover seats with black plastic trash bags, and roll up the windows to create a steam room to allow the Rejuvenator to fully penetrate into the hides.

Schedule: Once every 30-60 days, Arizona, Florida and Texas, especially in summer, for northern climates between 90-120 days, use a leather conditioner to restore these natural oils and keep the leather soft and supple. (Criot's Leather Care, Autoglym Leather Care Cream, Zanio Z10 Leather in a Bottle or Zymol Treat leather cleaners are all good maintenance products)
JonM
Old 09-16-2005, 07:05 AM

2005 CL55
Thanks Tons for the information!

This is what i needed!

All the best,

Mark
Old 09-16-2005, 07:14 AM

There are two cleaning-related factors that can cause your leather to wear prematurely. The first is dirt, and the second is oil from your skin. The oil from your skin is actually the most damaging to your leather. This is particularly true when you wear shorts or a tank top, and have recently applied lotion or sunscreen to your skin. Take this into consideration when determining your cleaning schedule.

Unlike fabric or vinyl upholstery, leather should be cleaned one section at a time. This means that once you have applied your cleaner or conditioner to one area, you should fully wipe down that area, and then proceed to the next and so on. Work on an area no larger than 2 to 3 square feet at a time.

If you have a dark-colored leather interior, I recommend cleaning twice a year. Light-colored leather will need more frequent cleaning, even as often as every 3 months, depending on how readily the dirt shows. In between cleanings, use a clean, damp towel to wipe down the surface completely. This removes the dust and light soiling so it won’t have a chance to work into your leather.

Follow these steps to clean your leather:

Apply the Sonus leather cleaner to one section at a time, and work the solution into a nice lather with a sponge. If your leather is heavily soiled, use an upholstery (interior detailing) brush.

When finished scrubbing, be sure to remove all soap from the surface with a damp towel.

Rinse and wipe several times, and then dry the leather with a fresh, dry terry cloth towel.

By the way, water will not hurt your leather. Most leather is actually made (tanned) in water.

After your car's leather has dried, apply the leather conditioner of your choice. Choose a leather protectant that gives you the look you want (flat to shiny). Sonus Leather Conditioner creates a nice matte finish on coated and noncoated leather upholstery. 303 Aerospace Protectant leaves a nice satin finish, but it should be used only on coated leather. Lexol Leather Conditioner is a well-known favorite that creates a glossy finish.

Just as in cleaning, apply leather conditioner one section at a time. Using a foam wax applicator, work the conditioner in thoroughly. Allow the conditioner to soak in 1 to 2 minutes, then buff off the excess with a dry terry cloth towel or microfiber towel. It's important to buff off the excess. If you allow the excess to stay, your seats will be slippery. After a few minutes of soak time, your leather has taken in all the moisture it can. The remainder will simply evaporate, leaving that nasty film on the inside of your windows.