Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Clay Bars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C320
Clay Bars?

I know there has been lots of talk of clay bars in various threads, but I was hoping to get a concise discussion going....

1) What clay bar do you like the best?

2) Where did you buy it?

3) How often do you use it?

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2002, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Re: Clay Bars?

Originally posted by SFC320
I know there has been lots of talk of clay bars in various threads, but I was hoping to get a concise discussion going....

1) What clay bar do you like the best?

2) Where did you buy it?

3) How often do you use it?

Thanks!
I use the Zaino Z18 claybar with some Zaino car wash mixed with water for lubtication ( No sick comments now ! ).

I buy my Zaino supplied through Zaino directly.

I CLAY annually, once a year. There are sometimes I will use clay to remove spots, tar, etc. between annual clayings.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
I've been using Griot's Garage (www.griotsgarage.com) clay bar and lubrication - it's worked great. I also intend to do it 1-2 times/per year (done once to each car so far)

Results have been incredible, the paint feels like silk once you're finished.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
The best clay bar for the money is definitely the blue clay magic kit @ autozone. It is the best clay bar I have ever used and is only 9.99! I usually mix 1 ounce of car wash to 15-16 ounces of water, shake it up in a spray bottle and use that on my lube. Make sure to fold the clay bar after every 2ft x 2ft section and pat the clay bar dry before folding. I learned this the hard way, because if you don't get the excess water off the bar it will turn grainy, soft and fall apart. Good luck, its easy once you get the hang of it, just remember, don't put any pressure on the bar when rubbing, let the clay do the work!
Old 07-15-2002, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
I've tried about 6 different brands of clay and Pinnacle Poly Clay wins my vote. It stays together and holds up really well. Some clays fall apart or become gooey/messy as you use them
(like Griot's did for me). http://www.properautocare.com for the best detailing supplies. I use clay once a year after stripping wax or to remove contaminants on a spot basis.
Old 07-24-2002, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
I happen to like ClayMagic the most because it does the job as well as any others, and it is quite cheap. $10 at AutoZone like Ali said, plus it comes with a bottle of lubricant. Most people don't use the lubricant because it is loaded with silicone, so you should probably save it for something else.