Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Best Wax

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 03:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Zaino Fan!

Originally Posted by moa4r
agreed. took me about 4-5 hours to do the whole process. start off with dawn, claybar, z7 wash. then, 2 coats of Z2, 2 coats of z5 (all with zfx) with a single coat of z6 in between every coat of z2 and z5. The stuff really is amazing.
Just one thing to point out: You should reverse the order of Z5 and Z2. Z5 will fill any swirl marks, but it does not shine as well as Z2. Once any swirl marks have been filled to your satisfaction, you should switch to Z2. You should always use Z2 as your finish coat (not including Z6 or Z8).
Old 12-27-2005, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S4
thanks for the correction... I meant to say 2 coats of z5 before 2 coats of z2 with z6 in between all coats..
Old 12-27-2005, 07:30 PM

Zaino gets my vote. Especially on black...
Old 12-27-2005, 11:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
thanks for the correction... I meant to say 2 coats of z5 before 2 coats of z2 with z6 in between all coats..
Old 12-27-2005, 11:57 PM
ON PROBATION

Quote:
agreed. took me about 4-5 hours to do the whole process. start off with dawn, claybar, z7 wash. then, 2 coats of Z2, 2 coats of z5 (all with zfx) with a single coat of z6 in between every coat of z2 and z5. The stuff really is amazing.

Originally Posted by revstriker
Just one thing to point out: You should reverse the order of Z5 and Z2. Z5 will fill any swirl marks, but it does not shine as well as Z2. Once any swirl marks have been filled to your satisfaction, you should switch to Z2. You should always use Z2 as your finish coat (not including Z6 or Z8).
Not to interject a supercilious question -- but would it help if you had your 115 lb girlfriend jump on the hood of the car nekid in a fur coat in between any of those coats and thrash around on her back like a monkey in heat? 'Cause I've always wondered (and maybe if you said yes I could print it out and qoute it to her 'cause I keep asking her and she says that it's a silly idea, but I tell her no, Honey I'm serious - it's a good idea - it will really help to lay down a smooth high sheen layer before the next coat which is the whole idea behind this coat)....

You lost me with the sixth interim coat of Xenon XG109....I take mine to a detailer!
Old 12-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally Posted by ClayJ
Not to interject a supercilious question -- but would it help if you had your 115 lb girlfriend jump on the hood of the car nekid in a fur coat in between any of those coats and thrash around on her back like a monkey in heat? 'Cause I've always wondered (and maybe if you said yes I could print it out and qoute it to her 'cause I keep asking her and she says that it's a silly idea, but I tell her no, Honey I'm serious - it's a good idea - it will really help to lay down a smooth high sheen layer before the next coat which is the whole idea behind this coat)....
LOL. :p I'd have to disagree here! She could cause dents, the fur could scratch the finish..... After all, we have to have our priorities straight. A better looking car gets more attention (the kind you want ) than a good looking girlfriend. But that doesn't mean you can't have both!
Old 12-28-2005, 02:08 PM
ON PROBATION

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get more miles out of the car...and that it'll be around longer than the girlfriend too!
Old 12-28-2005, 05:14 PM
M.J

E-240 2000 , E-240 2001 , CLS350 2006
i still can't understand how can you people know that the wax is not there any more i mean can you say that the car need to be waxed now and how can i remove the wax if i can't see it. when do you need to wax again and how the wax help to protect the car. i face the same problem in removing any kind of dirt on the car weither it was waxed or not . can any one clear out these points . by the way i alwayse use clay bar to clean the paint then wax with NXT .
Old 12-28-2005, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Originally Posted by M.J
i still can't understand how can you people know that the wax is not there any more i mean can you say that the car need to be waxed now and how can i remove the wax if i can't see it. when do you need to wax again and how the wax help to protect the car. i face the same problem in removing any kind of dirt on the car weither it was waxed or not . can any one clear out these points . by the way i alwayse use clay bar to clean the paint then wax with NXT .
Wax is a transparent,protective barrier. Of course we can't see it. We know how long wax lasts depending on what type of wax it is, carnauba, synthetic polymer, etc. If water stops beading when you wash, it's a sign of wear and time to reapply wax. Wax helps to protect the car by simpy forming a reflective, protective barrier between your car's paint and mother nature.

If you need/want to strip existing wax, wash the car with Dawn dish soap.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:43 PM
M.J

E-240 2000 , E-240 2001 , CLS350 2006
do i have to remove the wax everytime i want to wax, or should i leave the old wax layer and just apply over it . what is better ?
Old 12-28-2005, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
No need to remove existing wax if applying the same. If you are a Zaino user or using another product over the existing coat, that's when it's ideal to strip the existing wax with detergent to begin a fresh new coat.

Claying strips wax anyway, so I doubt you'll have to worry about washing with Dawn.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally Posted by M.J

do i have to remove the wax everytime i want to wax, or should i leave the old wax layer and just apply over it . what is better ?
As MBE55AMG stated, there are ways to tell how the wax is wearing on your car. How the water beads, does it have a deep shine right after you wash it, does it feel smooth. You can also estimate how often you need to wax based on the product. For instance, with Zaino, I normally apply 1-2 coats every 3-4 months. You may need more if your car is exposed to harsher elements.

As for claying, I really don't think you need to clay your car that often (unless you show your car). I normally clay my car when I first bring it home, and then again maybe 18-24 months later. I do strip my car (using a Dawn Wash) and apply 3 coats of Zaino about once a year though. Whatever kind of product you are using, if you are not getting the type of deep shine that you once got, you might want to think about stripping and starting over.

Also, don't get confused between the terms "Polish" and "Wax". Often times they are used to mean the same thing, but they are very different. The basic difference is that polish normally has an abrasive compound in it. There are exceptions to this such as Zaino which calls itself a polish but is really not.

For the most part, you can wax over a polish, but not the other way around. Zaino of course is an exception as it's made to be used independently.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Almost a Member!

mercedes c class avantagarde se (sport pack)
Ive always used Zymol since taking delivery of my car, ive tried megueirs but find it doesnt give the same type of shine!

Heres some pics , freshly waxed using zymol concours wax . P***ed off as once it was finished it rained on the car
Attached Thumbnails Best Wax-picture-003.jpg   Best Wax-picture-006.jpg   Best Wax-picture-010.jpg   Best Wax-picture-008.jpg  

Last edited by dal dahele; 02-14-2006 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:28 PM

2001 E220cdi ,2004 E500
the determeting factor for the cars shine isn´t the wax,it´s the ground work before it. if you polish your car god the shine will be there no mather wich brand you use
Old 03-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Almost a Member!

mercedes c class avantagarde se (sport pack)
Havent polished mine yet!.. so take it it will be even shiner if it was polished first
Old 03-03-2006, 08:47 PM

BLACK 05 C230SS
Originally Posted by goygoy
the determeting factor for the cars shine isn´t the wax,it´s the ground work before it. if you polish your car god the shine will be there no mather wich brand you use
Its actually Washing the car and than Claying the Car first before you do any waxing that will do wonders for any type of wax you use to bring out the shine.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 E320 CDI, '08 BMW X5 4.8i, '11 Duramax 2500HD
Zaino..

results..

http://homepage.mac.com/sjsamaha/PhotoAlbum37.html
Old 03-27-2006, 03:17 PM

Another vote for the Meguiar's 3-step. It is HARD WORK, but the results are amazing. I have a black 1999 E320 and a red 1996 SL500, and both look like they did in the showroom!
Old 03-27-2006, 09:17 PM

Yo! you guy are all hypin up Zaino wax, but i can't find it anywhere.. where can you purchase Zaino wax??
Old 03-31-2006, 08:19 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by bert3enz
Yo! you guy are all hypin up Zaino wax, but i can't find it anywhere.. where can you purchase Zaino wax??
zainostore.com - I just used it for the first time and it is amazing - even on a light colored car.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:41 AM

2008 Porsche 997 C4S Cabriolet
First Time Zaino User

Just used Zaino for the first time last week. I'd have to say I like the product. Rather easy to use and the results look even better in person.

JS
Attached Thumbnails Best Wax-dsc00528.jpg