Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Faded / Oxidized Window Trim??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 09:47 AM
PDC

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 SL65 ///AMG - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: 2005 E55; 2002 ML55; 2001 CLK55; 1992 BMW 850i; 1991 M5
Faded / Oxidized Window Trim??

Anyone out there have any ideas for cleaning the oxidation off of the window trim on many of our Benzes??? I have an '01 CLK 55 and the window sill trim is faded nearly flat gray. It looks terrible against a well polished and waxed black car. I have tried everything ... even a small dab of silver polish-tarnish remover but have had no luck. Do I need to just pull the trim and let my local paint shop shoot 'em with black paint??

Thanks all!

PDC
Old 01-06-2006, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS

Try giving that a try. Works real well with faded trims.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
'Rubber' Seals:

The seals on most vehicles are no longer made of natural rubber; vehicle manufacturers use a specialized synthetic material called ethylene propylene diene monomer (EPDM).

Real rubber, or blends containing real rubber, just cannot endure the direct exposure to sunlight (ultraviolet light) and the harmful-to-rubber oxidizing gases in our atmosphere. For dull or faded ‘rubber’ seals or window mouldings:
•Remove imbedded white stains in vinyl and rubber mouldings, first wipe the mouldings with a multi-purpose cleaner. P21S Total Auto Wash is excellent for this task. This removes any silicones on the surface and dissolves surface stains.
•Wipe trim with a multi-purpose solvent cleaner, Isopropyl alcohol (IPA)
•Follow by treating the trim with Forever Black. This is not a cosmetic dressing, but a deep-penetrating cleaner permanent dye that will reach into the pores of vinyl and rubber and dissolve old wax residues.
•Apply Forever Black to a cloth or applicator pad, wipe over the trim and buff with a soft towel. If
•Forever Black gets on glass or paintwork; it is easily wiped off with a dry cloth.
•After treatment, I recommend protecting the trim with Klasse Vinyl Cleaner or 303 Aerospace Protectant. Apply to a cloth or applicator pad and give the trim a quick once over. If the stain returns, it indicates the trim was bleached of colour.
•Forever Black will remove imbedded wax and sealant residues but will not restore sun faded or chemically bleached trim.
•If stains reappear after two coats, the vinyl or rubber is chemically bleached.

The soft seals around doors, windows, sunroof’s, hood and trunk are constantly being flexed and compressed all the while being subjected to a hostile environment. Use a product that contains glycerine (Iz enzett Gummi Pflege http://www.drivewerks.com or Zymol Seal http://www.zymol.com) a natural plant anti-oxidizing agent, it will prolong the useful life of the seal by restoring the original moisture and resist tearing and sticking

Alternative products- Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick, is silicone-free, biodegradable, and water repellent. http://www.superiorcarcare.net

~Hope this helps~