Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Removing Blue Coral Touchless Acrylic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLK350 Sport, 2006 E320 CDI, 1978 Cessna 152
Removing Blue Coral Touchless Acrylic

About 10 years ago my Father saw a commercial on TV advertising the Blue Coral Touchless acrylic system that was supose to restore the cars paint to look like new. From what I understand of the product, it gave the car an acyrlic coating that was very hard. Needless to say it was placed on the car and the paint looked horrid. Plenty of streaking and dripping. He tried to take the product off with washing it in paint thinner (polished the car afterward) and using a cleaner wax (8 applications) that was suggested by the dealer to remove some of this coating. The car is an 1986, but I think the paint would look even better if the coating could be removed. The Blue Coral was contacted and asked how to get the stuff off and they told him to repaint the car. He took a $2,000 settlement instead. The product is no longer sold.

Would clay work to remove this layer? I have thought about using a rubbing compound but scared I would over do it and end up taking off the paint as well. If anyone has any suggestions (other than a good reason why you never buy products you see on tv! I think he has learned his lesson) how to get this off I would be thankful. I would like to surprise him with a redone car looking close to the original for his birthday comming up.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Maybe one of the "pros" will chime in, but until they do, here's my "unprofessional" opinion. :p

I don't think a clay bar is going to be enough to remove it. It sounds like it's somehow bonded to the paint or clear coat. I don't even think a rubbing compound would remove it. I think the only way to get it off will be by sanding it down which will probably mean you will need to re-paint.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping to avoid sanding it down. My father (and family) learned an expensive lesson with paying attention to things seen on tv.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally Posted by RunInColorado
Thanks for the advice. I was hoping to avoid sanding it down. My father (and family) learned an expensive lesson with paying attention to things seen on tv.
LOL! :p So true. We cannot believe everything we see on TV! If so, my car would be incredibly shiny with only one coat of wax per year, I'd be a millionaire from buying foreclosed homes for $100 and re-selling them for $200,000, I'd have a side income from placing "little classified ads" in newspapers, and the Ginsu was the last knife I ever had to buy, and I use it to cut through cinder blocks!

Seriously though, I hope that one of the detailing "masters" might have some better news for you.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Just thought I would give an update if anyone else had the same problem or knows "somebody" who does.

My brothers and I spent an entire day washing waxing and claying the car. The acrylic did come off even more, but not entirely. The hood is back to normal but the areas where alot had accumulated (front panels, roof and trunk) still have some residue left. Maybe another 2-3 clayings will remove it totally. It was finished with 2 coats of NXT and looks great.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:16 PM

1979 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
when using the product you need to use very very very little. apply it in thin strait line strokes and it works wonders. my first experience was terrible too. But the second was much better.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
For future ref:

Removing an acrylic is usually somewhat difficult due to its paint bonding properties. This product will remove it, use with a polishing foam pad speed #3 on a PC polisher
Chemical Removal - 3D Eraser –made from biodegradable ingredients (Phosphoric Acid 10 – 15%, Deionized Water 80-85%) that will not harm your vehicles surfaces and if used as directed, it’s also environmentally safe.

Do not leave on for long and apply in shade. The Gel like consistency prevents the solution from running down your car surface.

MSDS - http://www.3dproducts.com/msds/105W_Eraser.pdf

Note: this product will also remove stubborn 'water spots' (use as above for clear coat, use with #0000 synthetic steel wool on glass surfaces

Last edited by TOGWT; 10-08-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Ford Mustang
I would try using an abrasive polish like Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish
that should remove it and save you some time compared to the Claybar.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:54 AM

Kia forte
Found a fast removal of this product!

I applied one coat of this stuff, and had streaks. So the bottle said to go over again at 90° to correct this and just left more streaks. So i had to remove this stuff. One wipe and it was all gone with "goof off" the ultimate remover. Both coats wiped right off! Had to share this finding with everyone here.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 636 Likes on 473 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Prepsol or other body shop wipe down prep solvent.
They are used to remove oils and waxes from paint before spraying...
or
TSP
or
IF car paint is single layer (no clear) I would have it wet sanded maybe and then polished.