Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

The car feels dirty but doesn't look dirty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The car feels dirty but doesn't look dirty

I have zaino on my car and it looks great. I live in Pittsburgh so I have to wash the salt off quite frequently and lately when I have been drying it has felt really dirty and when I put my hand on parts of the paint it doesn't feel smooth like it did this summer. Now I wash it with just water and a wash mit at those do it yourself jet washes.

Any ideas why this may be? Is it a thin layer of salt that is transparent? Should I try to clay it again or should I use soap?

Thanks!!!
Old 01-13-2006, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
You may have a layer of salt.I would avoid qashung your car with anything but the Zaino carwash or risk having what you have on there come off.I would clay the car in the spring unless you have a heated area to dedicate some time to the task.In the meantime just hose it off wherever you can to minimize the build-up.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like it is time to "clay" the car. I would wait until spring though, unless you have a warm place to do it.

Just try and keep it clean over the cold winter months, thats about all you can do.

Here is an article on detail clay.How to use detailing clay
Old 01-16-2006, 03:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally Posted by luxury1
I have zaino on my car and it looks great. I live in Pittsburgh so I have to wash the salt off quite frequently and lately when I have been drying it has felt really dirty and when I put my hand on parts of the paint it doesn't feel smooth like it did this summer. Now I wash it with just water and a wash mit at those do it yourself jet washes.

Any ideas why this may be? Is it a thin layer of salt that is transparent? Should I try to clay it again or should I use soap?

Thanks!!!
I would advise against just using water and a wash mit. You need to use a good quality car wash soap. This will provide the proper lubrication to remove the dirt, and not just rub it into your finish. You could do some damage to your finish by just rubbing dirty water with a mit.

If you use Zaino, I would suggest using the Z7 car wash soap. Otherwise, a good quality car wash soap will also work. Avoid the soap that is dispensed at the "do it yourself" type car washes. You never know what kind of soap it is, and it will most likely weaken whatever kind of protection you have on your car. And by all means, leave that dirty nasty brush at the do it yourself wash hanging on the wall!

If, after washing your car with a good car wash soap, your car still feels "rough", then you should try and clay it. After claying, you should be able to look and see if you have caused any damage (swirl marks) by washing without any soap. If so, you may be able to polish them out, or, if they are fine enough, use something to fill and hide the swirl marks like Zaino Z5.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Protectall’s quick easy wash (QEW) is as effective as a regular wash, whenever there is a water shortage, cold weather washing, as it takes less time, or if a water hose is not available (condominiums, car shows, etc) www.protectall.com

However careful you are, washing your car introduces swirls and micro scratches, to minimize them always wipe in one direction only, avoid circular movements Thoroughly rinse wash mitt and change water as necessary, do not let QEW dry on the surfaces, as it will `water spot'.

Wash a section at a time then towel or use a California Water Blade to squeegee dry. Quick & Easy Wash is non-abrasive; it safely loosens and lifts dirt eliminating the need to use a water hose. Wash a section at a time then just chamois, towel or squeegee dry.

(QEW) Application Methodology:
Quick & Easy Wash safely loosens and lifts dirt eliminating the need to rinse with water. Wash a section at a time, work from the top down (i.e. cleaner to dirtier surfaces) then use a waffle weave towel or squeegee to dry.

a) Mix 1 - 2oz per gallon of QEW thoroughly in the wash bucket, or use 4-5 pumps per vehicle panel
•After saturating mitt, wash one panel at a time, wiping in the one direction only, and no circular movements.
•Use a Microfiber waffle weave towel, rinse in warm, clean water and wring out as much moisture as possible, fold the towel in half and then half again
•Dry panel with towel while allowing the first mitt to soak in wash solution and proceed to the next panel.
•Alternate mitts ensuring that they are rinsed toughly and wrung out before placing them in wash solution (this will avoid dilution of solution)
•Work your way around vehicle until all panels have been cleaned / dried
•Clean glass surfaces by using a damp Microfiber glass cloth on both inside and exterior surfaces.

b) If your car is very dirty use a higher concentrate of QEW solution (2.5-3.0oz)
•After soaking mitt in solution, put solution into a spray bottle, spray panel with QEW
•Let panels soak before using the method outlined above
•Change water as often as is necessary (dependant upon need/availability)

c) To wash your vehicle at a car show or other type of event use ½ ounce (1 capful) of Quick & Easy Wash in a bucket with two quarts of distilled water for an average size car. Use one ounce per gallon for larger vehicles. Quick & Easy Wash safely loosens and lifts dirt eliminating the need to rinse with water. Wash a section at a time then just chamois, towel or squeegee dry."

QEW dries clear but for a just detailed look, once washing / drying has been completed spray panel with a quick detailing spray with a clean damp towel and finally buff with a Microfiber buffing towel.

Notes:
1.QEW is as effective as a regular wash, whenever there is a water shortage, cold weather washing, as it takes less time, or a water hose is not available (condominiums, car shows, etc).
2.However careful you are, washing your car introduces swirls and micro scratches, to minimize them always wipe in one direction only, avoid circular movements
3.Thoroughly rinse wash mitt and change water as necessary, do not let QEW dry on the surfaces, as it will `water spot'.

Alternative products-
1.If there is no water available a product is available from Waterless Wash (http://www.waterless-wash.com/product.htm)
2.Eimann Fabrik Waterless Auto Wash & Gloss Sealant (http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motor...winshkit1.html
3.Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine – (Autogeek.com)