Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How to: buffing out swirl marks with a Porter Cable Buffer *UPDATED*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by JustinTRW

If you read the clay article AlBoston wrote, you can see that clay is not for swirl marks. Clay makes the finish 100% smooth. It removes solid contaminants. Don't believe you have any? Take a plastic ziplock bag and put your hand inside it. Gently feel the paint by runnng your finger across. If you feel any bumps or unsmoothness, you need to clay. I did it to my new car and noticed an improvement. At the very least, I would do a claying and then use Z-5 and Z-2. If you want, you can just use #9 with the orbital. I used only #9, but I have a Porter Cable and the proper cutting pads which helped maximize what it can do. Your 10" doesn't have much power for swirl removal, so I'm not sure how much you will be able to remove.

You could even just do a dawn wash, Z-5, and then Z-2. It sounds like you were happy with the Meguiar's wax, so you probably won't care too much about all these steps. I want my finish as perfect as possible, so I did everything to ensure it. Also, if you do not wash your car by hand meticulously from now on, I would skip the swirl removal stage. The swirls will just come back guaranteed. If you are not willing to do the swirl removal step carefully, I would skip it.
Thanks Justin! I completely echo his response .
Old 08-22-2002, 11:51 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!

If you read the clay article AlBoston wrote, you can see that clay is not for swirl marks. Clay makes the finish 100% smooth. It removes solid contaminants. Don't believe you have any? Take a plastic ziplock bag and put your hand inside it. Gently feel the paint by runnng your finger across. If you feel any bumps or unsmoothness, you need to clay. I did it to my new car and noticed an improvement. At the very least, I would do a claying and then use Z-5 and Z-2. If you want, you can just use #9 with the orbital. I used only #9, but I have a Porter Cable and the proper cutting pads which helped maximize what it can do. Your 10" doesn't have much power for swirl removal, so I'm not sure how much you will be able to remove.

You could even just do a dawn wash, Z-5, and then Z-2. It sounds like you were happy with the Meguiar's wax, so you probably won't care too much about all these steps. I want my finish as perfect as possible, so I did everything to ensure it. Also, if you do not wash your car by hand meticulously from now on, I would skip the swirl removal stage. The swirls will just come back guaranteed. If you are not willing to do the swirl removal step carefully, I would skip it.
u did not answer one of my questions on about how long it takes to clay the car?

I have used the #9 swirl reover 3 times on my car twice completly by hand and once by the buffer. and i was never happy with the results. i did not think it took out any swirls and when i did it by hand i did it just like how AlBoston said, to keep rubbing it in the finish till it almost rubs its self off. and i still did not see and big difference with my swirls.

when i once did it with my buffer it went on fine and the buffer definitly had enough power to complety take it off. but i still was not satified with the reslusts.

the car is always washed very carefully by hand 3 times a week and always comes out perfect. i would be willing to do the swirl remover stage, (i thought i did it carefully) but i would not want the swirls back. so how would u suggest me to do it perfectly.

when i have just used the meguairs gold class wax i was happy with the results there were no swirls or anything and it was very smooth, but i found that it did not last long at all.
i have never used Zaino but heard tons of good things about it so that why i would wanna try it.

if i just did the Z-5 and Z-2 how much different do u think the car would come out from all the steps u said?
let me remind u that my car has minor swirls and was waxed at least once a month, so it always looked fine i am just looking for something to last longer and take out minor swirls.

if i was to get Z5 and Z2 can i apply them with my buffer?
and would these 2 steps take out the swirls almost the same as the steps u said?

thanks for your time and answers.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
Claying takes an hour maximum.

Let's get this straight! Zaino does not remove swirls at all!! It is just a protective coating, nothing more. It is not a polish, but a sealant. Even Z-5 does not do much to hide swirls. If you had the right kind of pad, then you might be able to cut more into the paint and remove swirls. If you are satisfied with the look, head over to Zaino now. Zaino is best used by hand by unexperienced users. Once you get the hang of it, then you can try the orbital. If you NOT satisfied with the swirl situation, upgrade to a stronger polish such as DACP, then head to Zaino. If you want to clay, always do it before any polishing. Follow the directions on http://www.zainobros.com. Are you still confused?
Old 08-23-2002, 01:43 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Are you still confused?
No, thanks for your help
Old 08-23-2002, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
blkc230coupe, on a 2002 car it should take about an hour to an hour and half to properly clay your car. btw, dont worry, detailing is easy trust me. Just relax and have fun!
Old 08-23-2002, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe

No, thanks for your help
Ok, great. Let us know how it turned out.
Old 08-23-2002, 03:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by AlBoston
btw, dont worry, detailing is easy trust me. Just relax and have fun!
i am now just debating which method to use. I have always enjoyed detaling my cars and i give them alot of attention.

i am now not sure weather to clay the car or not, or if i should just use the method justin said with the DACP and maybe swirl remover then Zaino.

Or if i should just try Z5 and Z2 and see how that comes out.
Like i have said before i have never used any Zaino products but i heard such good things about them that i would like to try it.

Back to one thing u said how the DACP might haze my car if i dont use the #9 swirl remover after that, if it was to haze can i just use Z2 over it or will that not do a thing to cover the haze?

thanks
Old 08-23-2002, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG

i am now just debating which method to use. I have always enjoyed detaling my cars and i give them alot of attention.

i am now not sure weather to clay the car or not, or if i should just use the method justin said with the DACP and maybe swirl remover then Zaino.

Or if i should just try Z5 and Z2 and see how that comes out.
Like i have said before i have never used any Zaino products but i heard such good things about them that i would like to try it.

Back to one thing u said how the DACP might haze my car if i dont use the #9 swirl remover after that, if it was to haze can i just use Z2 over it or will that not do a thing to cover the haze?

thanks
Did you do the plastic baggie test I recommended? That will help you decide whether or not to clay. Put your hand inside a ziplock bag and glide your finger across the paint. If you feel any bumps or unsmoothness, you should clay. If you are unsatisfied with the smoothness of the paint, try some clay.

Why don't you do this: wash your car with dawn dishwashing liquid (no matter what you decide, you have to do this anyway). After you dry it, put the car into the sun and look at the surface of the paint. Zaino will do nothing no hide any swirls and it might even make the swirls a little more visible. So that is how you can decide if you want to use DACP or #9. They both help remove swirls. Do a test panel with the products and see if it makes a difference. The way the surface looks before Zaino is how it will look after (with much more shine after though!).
Old 08-24-2002, 12:06 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!

Did you do the plastic baggie test I recommended? That will help you decide whether or not to clay. Put your hand inside a ziplock bag and glide your finger across the paint. If you feel any bumps or unsmoothness, you should clay. If you are unsatisfied with the smoothness of the paint, try some clay.

Why don't you do this: wash your car with dawn dishwashing liquid (no matter what you decide, you have to do this anyway). After you dry it, put the car into the sun and look at the surface of the paint. Zaino will do nothing no hide any swirls and it might even make the swirls a little more visible. So that is how you can decide if you want to use DACP or #9. They both help remove swirls. Do a test panel with the products and see if it makes a difference. The way the surface looks before Zaino is how it will look after (with much more shine after though!).
i did not use the platic bag test yet because my car is now dirty and i could not wash it cause all the rain. i will do it tomarrow though. and i dont have Zaino yet so i will have to order it if i decide to get it. i understand that the Zaino will not remove swirls, but if i use the Z5 i am guessing it will help to only take out a few very minor swirls.
I was looking on the meguairs web site and why dont i see the DACP can u give me a link to it.
also as i was on the site i noticed a few other products that i thought might be help full, since u know alot about the products please tell me if u would reccomend them, Deep Crystal System Cleaner seems like it takes out swirls. #7 show car glaze and the Cleaner/wax (is that the DACP?). Out of those which one would u suggest to apply and then maybe a coat of Z2 if i get it? which will take out the swirls more than others? it sounds like u think the meguairs products will remove swirs better than Z5 is that correct?

Also how can i tell if soemthing is abrasive or non abrasive?
last question. what do u think of meguairs scratch X? if i was to just was the car with dawn apply scratch X then maybe Z2 what would that look like? is scratch X an abrasive?

thanks
Old 08-24-2002, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz

i did not use the platic bag test yet because my car is now dirty and i could not wash it cause all the rain. i will do it tomarrow though. and i dont have Zaino yet so i will have to order it if i decide to get it. i understand that the Zaino will not remove swirls, but if i use the Z5 i am guessing it will help to only take out a few very minor swirls.
I was looking on the meguairs web site and why dont i see the DACP can u give me a link to it.
also as i was on the site i noticed a few other products that i thought might be help full, since u know alot about the products please tell me if u would reccomend them, Deep Crystal System Cleaner seems like it takes out swirls. #7 show car glaze and the Cleaner/wax (is that the DACP?). Out of those which one would u suggest to apply and then maybe a coat of Z2 if i get it? which will take out the swirls more than others? it sounds like u think the meguairs products will remove swirs better than Z5 is that correct?

Also how can i tell if soemthing is abrasive or non abrasive?
last question. what do u think of meguairs scratch X? if i was to just was the car with dawn apply scratch X then maybe Z2 what would that look like? is scratch X an abrasive?

thanks
Z5 does not remove swirls, it will fill minor minor swirls, not remove them, meaning once the zaino is gone, the swirls Z5 filled will be back..... this is the whole point of buffing your car to almost completely removing the swirl u have now, so u can just use Z2! I do not recommend deep crystal cleaner, much too abrasive for your needs, show car glaze is just that, a glaze. All it will do is fill in swirl marks for about a week. You cannot apply a glaze before using Zaino because before using Zaino u must dawn wash the car to REMOVE waxes and glazes. Zaino needs absolute bare naked paint to bond to, or else you will get streaking, smearing, and poor durability. Therefore I also do not recommend Meguiars cleaner wax if u are going the zaino route. Meguiars Scratch-X is a heavy abrasive and should only be used as spot treatments to remove scratches, hence the name. I would not use it on the whole car. Here is a link to purchase DACP on the meguiars website. DACP is not a wax, it is a dual action cleaner polish, therefore the acryonym DACP. http://www.meguiars.com/product_show...ne=PP&SrcCat=2

scroll down about half way down the page, u cant miss it.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
DACP is on step two (Surface Prep) of the professional line. It is labeled "Body Shop Professional Dual Action Cleaner/Polish". Meguiars makes a lot of promises for marketing purposes (like what is abrasive and what can remove swirls). I would stay with the professional line of products. The cleaner just cleans the paint (oxidation, etc.) and #7 is like makeup for cars (it fills minor swirls, but once you wash with dawn prior to Zaino it will be gone). The cleaner wax is a one step product. It has some cleaning abilities, and then lays down some wax. I do not like these one step products generally. I would not choose either product. A product like #7 is designed for cosmetic purposes and usually goes underneath a layer of carnauba wax. Zaino is not a carnauba wax, so you cannot put anything under it except for zaino. Let me know if you will use Zaino or a carnauba wax. The preparation is slightly different. Mainly, the second dawn wash is eliminated. Scratch-X is for spot application of scratches (not areas with swirls) by hand. You need to use the correct product for the job. Each of Meguiars products has its place for the most part.

You can tell if products are abrasive or not by looking at the description and what they call it. Pure glazes are just make-up, so they are not abrasive. Cleaners are abrasive. Polishes are generally abrasive. You just have to look at the product and see what's going on. Not all cleaners are the same abrasiveness, and that holds true for anything. You'll learn.

Also, check out www.autopia.ws
You will learn a LOT from that detailing forum.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:48 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
thanks AlBoston and JustinTRW.

I think i will not skip Z5 and just order Z2.
And use the DACP.

one question though i am supose to use the DACP first then zaino? or the other way around? i understand now the paint has to be bare before appying zaino. so if i just use DACP then wash it with dawn again then wax with Z2, i still wont have any swirls right?

i will be applying the DACP and Zaino by my buffer.

do any stores such as pep boys or anywhere carry DACP or should i order it online?

i am finally getting it the DACP removes the swirls and other things just fill them. i was hard for me to understand because i thiught swirls can always just be filled, not removed.
Old 09-09-2002, 01:37 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
ok guys i am back. i am trying to keep thos thread alive.

I am sure u guys missed my stuipid questions.

I now have my Zaino and my DACP (dam that bottle is to big).

But anyway i am planing on doing the job this week sometime.

Cupple quick questions before i do it though.

should i use my regular car wash shampoo to wash the car first then DACP, or should i use dawn to do it first?

I know eaither way after i DACP i have to dawn to apply the Zaino.

if i want to appy more coats of zaino do i apply them over eachother or do i have to wash it with something?
Old 09-09-2002, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
ok guys i am back. i am trying to keep thos thread alive.

I am sure u guys missed my stuipid questions.

I now have my Zaino and my DACP (dam that bottle is to big).

But anyway i am planing on doing the job this week sometime.

Cupple quick questions before i do it though.

should i use my regular car wash shampoo to wash the car first then DACP, or should i use dawn to do it first?

I know eaither way after i DACP i have to dawn to apply the Zaino.

if i want to appy more coats of zaino do i apply them over eachother or do i have to wash it with something?
regular shampoo first is fine, just dawn after buffing. after the initial app of zaino and u want to add more coats, simply wash it with Z7 car wash, then Z6 it (optional), then just put on another coat. Remember, the thinner the better when applying Zaino.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:19 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
regular shampoo first is fine, just dawn after buffing. after the initial app of zaino and u want to add more coats, simply wash it with Z7 car wash, then Z6 it (optional), then just put on another coat. Remember, the thinner the better when applying Zaino.
I dont have Z7 car wash so does it matter if i just use my meguairs gold class shampoo to use after if i want to apply more zaino?

i know the zaino is better to be hand applyed but i think i am going to apply and take off the zaino and DACP with my buffer.
Old 09-09-2002, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Using Meguiar's is perfectly fine. Zaino's wash actually helps improve the slickness of Zaino (minor help), so that is why it is often recommended. Otherwise, you're fine.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Using Meguiar's is perfectly fine. Zaino's wash actually helps improve the slickness of Zaino (minor help), so that is why it is often recommended. Otherwise, you're fine.
oh ok good.

Thanks for your help guys. once i am done i will post pics.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
oh ok good.

Thanks for your help guys. once i am done i will post pics.
Great.
Old 09-11-2002, 03:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Great.
dont hold your breath though. Its been raining everyday since the Zaino arived.

The next clear day i will give it a try. Hopefully this weekend.
Old 09-14-2002, 09:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Well i finally did it today.

It took me like 6 hours at least. My knees are killing me.

i first washed the car then applyed the DACP with my buffer.

I saw on some spots of the car it was a little hazy. Then i washed the car with dawn. and its amazing how it really takes off all your wax. once i hosed the car i saw the water just stay on there all not bubble up at all. I was still impressed with how well it felt after the dawn.

After i dryed the car i appyed the Zaino Z2 i was planing on using the buffer to appy it but i dont think i like my buffer to much anymore. so i did it by hand. in some spots if it looked hazy after the zaino was on u could see the color just come back to a nice wet deep looking black.

So far i am happy with how it came out. Its very shiny and smooth with a nice color to it.

The only thing is i finished when it was dark out so i could not see if the swirls are completly gone.

Tomarrow i will look at it in the direct sunlight and see how it looks. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I will also try to post pics tomarrow.

And last, how often should i use the Zaino? how long will it last?
i dont think i will be using the DACP for at least another 6 months.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
where are da pics
Old 09-18-2002, 11:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
where are da pics
there on my digital camera still. and i just realized i left it in my car. i will post them tomarrow.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:19 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
well here are a cupple they suck though because it was getting dark out and they did not come out clear. the ones i took with a flash up close came out as a big blur.

here are the bad ones. i will have to wash my car and take more for u guys in the sunlight.
Old 09-19-2002, 07:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Old 09-19-2002, 07:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to: buffing out swirl marks with a Porter Cable Buffer *UPDATED*