Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

New SLK care

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 09:34 AM
NHW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New SLK care

I bought a 2002 SLK320 on 7/10/02 in Firemist Red with Charcoal interior. I would like help in formulating a plan for care.

The car was delivered purportedly waxed. During it's first wash, I could tell it was inadequate. The car had a small chip in the paint above one wheel well at delivery. It didn't bother me to agree to bring it in after one week for a local body shop to repair as I was familiar with the work of this shop. The repair is perfect and I just want to make the point that there is some new paint on the car that may or may not be cured.

Due to the lousy wax job on the car at delivery, I had the salesman instruct service to do it again. Same lousy job though.

So...that is the condition of my car. New with some type of lousy wax job using products unknown to me, but at least swirl free so far. Considering these factors, what plan of current and future action to you all recommend?

I have read almost all old posts in this forum and the concensus seems to be Zaino. For my situtation, which Zaino products should I use, how many coats, how often, etc?

Please be aware I am not a "car nut" and spending a couple of hours every weekend working on my car is something I know I would never really carry through with. I won't kid myself about that. A recommendation of minimum requirements would be appreciated so that I know what steps are desired but optional, perhaps such as claying which I had never even heard of prior to reading this forum.

Other info that may be helpful is that I live in Florida in a coastal area. High humidity, salty air, periods of time with lots of rain and of course lots of UV exposure. Mostly ungaraged.

Thanks in advance,

Nancy

Last edited by NHW; 08-03-2002 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-03-2002, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Zaino products you will need are ZFX, a little of which is added to Z-2 or Z-5 to speed their drying times and help bond them to the paint. You will need Z-2 polish and when the swirls start to show some Z-5. To wash the car use Z-7. Also purchase Z-6. Z-6 is used between coats of Z-2 or Z-5 to enhance the depth and gloss of the polish. It is also used as a quick detailer to remove light dirt and grime between washes. Also use it to remove bird droppings, bugs and tree sap as soon as you can.

After receiving the Zaino products, wash the car with Dawn dishwashing detergent. This will remove the old wax. If the paint still feels slick and smooth you will not need to clay the car. If it feels rough, you will need a clay bar to remove the contaminants. To do this, lubricate a small area (2ft x 2ft) with the Z-6. Lightly rub the clay bar back and forth over the area. Never use circular motions. As the bar picks up the comtaminants, you will need to fold the clay to expose a fresh surface. After claying the car, wash with Z-7.

When washing, always wash in the direction of airflow over the panel you are working on. Again, never use circular motions, and do one panel at a time. Start at the highest part of the car and work down. Use a microfiber wash mit and rinse it after each panel. Some people use a two bucket method, with the soap in one bucket and clear water in another to rinse the mit. I just use free flowing water from the hose. Rinse each panel after you wash it with free flowing water from the hose. Do not use high pressure. Wash the wheels first and use a separate mit for the wheels. This procedure will prevent brake dust from being splashed onto previously washed panels.

Blot dry the car with microfiber towels. High quality 100% cotton American made towels can be used, but are not nearly as soft as microfiber. Never use a chamois, natural or man-made, on your paint. If you have an air compressor, blow the water out of the crevices in the body. If not, drive around the block, and open and shut to doors and trunk a couple of times to shake the water out of hiding places.

You are now ready to apply your Ziano products. Print the instructions and tips and tricks from their web site.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:59 PM
NHW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you, Lynn. That is very helpful.

About the Zaino....I've read here and at Autopia that is ideal for light colored cars but many have a preference for Klasse or carnauba (sp?) for darker cars.

My car is the metallic Firemist Red. Opinions on Zaino versus something else?

I'd really like to hear what other Firemist owners are using also.

Nancy
Old 08-04-2002, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Zaino on my Orion Blue C230k, and I am very happy with it. Many people are very satisfied with the results they get on black cars. One alternative is Klasse, but I have never used it. Hopefully someone who does will post about it. Firemist red is a great color on an SLK.