Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

AMG Mono II cleaning/polish

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW and Mercedes
AMG Mono II cleaning/polish

The sun finally came out for the first time since I bought my car, and I wanted to do some deep cleaning and polishing of my wheels.

First off, are these clearcoated wheels (I would assume), or are they aluminum finish? I have 8.5" in the rear w/ a polished lip on them, so would that part also be clearcoated?

Either way, what cleaning soaps do you all recommend, and also, what polish have people been using? I'm planning on jacking the car up and removing each wheel for cleaning so I can get everything. Any suggestions for getting the build-up of crap out of the inner walls of the wheel? Lastly, what do you use for treating the tire sidewalls? I'm not a huge fan of the overly "wet" armor-all look, so is there something that is less fake looking (but will keep the tires clean)? The dealership detailing shop used something that seemed to look/work pretty well, but I didn't get a chance to ask anyone what they use. Anyone know?

Thanks for the help guys!

** Oh yeah, also, what polish should I use for the exhaust tips (the stock AMG ovals on the C43)? I used Mother's metal polish the other day, which seemed to work really well, but I just wanted to make sure this wouldn't damage them for any reason. Is there something better that I should be using?**

Last edited by FLYNAVY; 02-13-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Allow me to direct you to Autopia, a site for detailing fanatics: http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-wheels.html

That'll have everything you would ever think about when it comes to wheel care.

Also, the Mother's polish I can't comment on (because I've never used it), but I highly recommend Eagle One's NEVR-DULL for removing stubborn stains and carbon build-up on those exhaust tail pipes.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz w124
Originally Posted by FLYNAVY
The sun finally came out for the first time since I bought my car, and I wanted to do some deep cleaning and polishing of my wheels.

First off, are these clearcoated wheels (I would assume), or are they aluminum finish? I have 8.5" in the rear w/ a polished lip on them, so would that part also be clearcoated?

Either way, what cleaning soaps do you all recommend, and also, what polish have people been using? I'm planning on jacking the car up and removing each wheel for cleaning so I can get everything. Any suggestions for getting the build-up of crap out of the inner walls of the wheel? Lastly, what do you use for treating the tire sidewalls? I'm not a huge fan of the overly "wet" armor-all look, so is there something that is less fake looking (but will keep the tires clean)? The dealership detailing shop used something that seemed to look/work pretty well, but I didn't get a chance to ask anyone what they use. Anyone know?

Thanks for the help guys!

** Oh yeah, also, what polish should I use for the exhaust tips (the stock AMG ovals on the C43)? I used Mother's metal polish the other day, which seemed to work really well, but I just wanted to make sure this wouldn't damage them for any reason. Is there something better that I should be using?**
For the inner walls, it is best , and tons easier to take off the wheels. I like using Meguiars all wheel cleaner...

http://meguiars.com/?wheel-care/Hot-...-Wheel-Cleaner

That is found at almost any autozone. Just look at the bottle, it should say what the cleaner is safe for. To test whether your wheels are clearcoated, get a mild polish such as ColorX and get a rag to apply the product and rub it in, if your cloth turns black, then your wheels are NOT clear coated , in which case you should use a metal polish. for the tire sidewall, im not sure what you want, a matte finish? There are various ones out there, I don't use them much, so i don't know what is good. That metal polish is fine but after i tested out Nxt All metal polish, i would not use anything else. That product is insane and removes stains and polishes with such ease..I would recommend using that for the exhaust tips and for any non clear coated metal you have in the car. http://www.meguiarsonline.com/galler.../500/35293.jpg that picture will explain to make sure that your wheel cleaner is safe for your wheel! My wheels are polished non clear coated aluminum.