Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

@%*#$^ Brake Dust - Can't get it OFF

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 MB E55 AMG
@%*#$^ Brake Dust - Can't get it OFF

I bought some used AMG wheels (off 2001 E55) that looked pretty good when I received them. Previous owner said they were like new and sat in his basement for some time.

I thought that it was possible that these wheels had been refinished. The clear coat, which looked (and still looks) fine on the face of the wheel had some runs and drips in the recesses that didn't look up to MB quality to me.

The problem is that I can't get the brake dust off the outer part of the rims. Using wheel cleaner and a clay bar I can get maybe 2/3 to 1/2 off at each cleaning but the rest just won't come off.

What's the next step after hard clay bar rubbing? Do I use 4/0 steel wool (hope not). I'm planning to get Griot's detail polisher to try but it feels like a losing battle so far.

Yes, my next pads will be Porterfields ... but in the meantime I need help getting these wheels clean.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

TJC
Old 02-27-2006, 06:30 AM

What are you using for products?
Wheel cleaner,Clay and polish?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Try Meguires Scratch-X.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:15 PM

2001 E220cdi ,2004 E500
no clay!!!!!!!!!!!!

itīs most likely that the rims are refurbished you would never see any run on factory deliverd rims. if you use clay you WILL destroy all the protective coating on the rims. go to a good detailer and they should have a solvent for the brake dust that isnīt too hard on the protective coating
Old 02-28-2006, 09:23 PM

2002 MB E55 AMG
I *suspect* that there is no coating of any kind on the unpainted areas of the rims (edges). I've been using a Griot's yellow clay and 'green' wheel cleaner - I can get off around 50-75% of it but the rest remains.

I will check a local detail shop ... also heard here that 'Flitz' is good.

Any other ideas?

TJC

PS the 'runs' are not on the face but rather on the 'return' faces of the wheel ... but I do agree that even in 2001 that wouldn't have been consistent with MB quality.