Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

still having problems with removing wax !!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 01:13 AM
M.J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-240 2000 , E-240 2001 , CLS350 2006
still having problems with removing wax !!

i still have some residue from my old wax in dots can any one tell me about a specific product you guys try, and don't tell me use dawn coz i don't want to use dish saop on my car !!!!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 10:49 PM

Not understanding how you got wax in dots?
Old 04-11-2006, 01:00 AM
M.J

i used spraywax (meguiars) then i left it for 15 minutes , when i came back to wipe it i found that i apply a lot in some places, so as i was trying to remove it i found that there was dots here and there left over , before two days i used dawn but the dots are still there when i try to remove one of them by hand i remove it , do you think calying the car should remove that ? plus i have some birds spots i can see some after i wash it will clay clean these stuff ???
Old 04-11-2006, 01:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Try to clay. Clay rocks. I love clay bar.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:08 AM
M.J

after claying should i polish or no need to. by the way i just got my car one month ago
Old 04-11-2006, 01:15 AM
Out Of Control!!

You don't have to. A polish is an abrasive. I would order Zaino and do the entire Zaino procedure for your car.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:22 AM
M.J

ricky did you use preston wax before ? we don't have meguiars nxt and ofcourse zaino wax over here although nxt will be available next month but i am using preston for now any idea ?
Old 04-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally Posted by M.J
i used spraywax (meguiars) then i left it for 15 minutes , when i came back to wipe it i found that i apply a lot in some places, so as i was trying to remove it i found that there was dots here and there left over , before two days i used dawn but the dots are still there when i try to remove one of them by hand i remove it , do you think calying the car should remove that ? plus i have some birds spots i can see some after i wash it will clay clean these stuff ???
Dawn is very good at stripping old wax off of cars. Whatever is left after a "Dawn Wash" can normally be removed with a Clay Bar.

after claying should i polish or no need to. by the way i just got my car one month ago
After claying your car, it will have no protection, so you do need to do something to protect it. As ricky stated, a conventional polish contains abrasives which remove a thin layer of the clear coat. Unless you have swirl marks, or your paint appears dull, I don't believe this is necessary. I would recommend a high quality car wax, or a polymer sealer like Zaino (although Zaino markets themselves as a "polish", it is not in the conventional sense as it contains no abrasives). I would also highly recommend dawn washing and claying your car if you have not done so already. Even a brand new car needs to be clayed. Think of all the rail dust, salt, and over the road dust that has settled on your car between the manufacturer and the dealer. Claying is really the only way to remove these embedded materials from your clear coat.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dishwashing soap is a little hard on the finish. If claying is too much work, rubbing alcohol will remove anything wax like from your car. Also, bodyshops use Prepsol to remove any wax like stuff off the car before painting. I use that before touchups because I have it but alcohol will work well too. Don't use spray waxes, they are no good.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
Dishwashing soap is a little hard on the finish. If claying is too much work, rubbing alcohol will remove anything wax like from your car. Also, bodyshops use Prepsol to remove any wax like stuff off the car before painting. I use that before touchups because I have it but alcohol will work well too. Don't use spray waxes, they are no good.
When you say "hard on the finish" what do you mean? There is nothing in regular dawn for example that should cause harm to the paint or the clearcoat.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:24 AM

Spray waxes are fine but as with any thing, some are good and some stink.

Next time you use a spray wax spray, wipe, buff off....don't let it sit.

Clay your car and then continue with your choice in polish or sealer.

Anthony
Old 04-25-2006, 01:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by M.J
ricky did you use preston wax before ? we don't have meguiars nxt and ofcourse zaino wax over here although nxt will be available next month but i am using preston for now any idea ?
Never heard of preston.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:30 PM

CLS-500, SL-500, BOXSTER-S
I don't know how bad the dots are, but I've found that spray on quick detailer sometimes does the job. Otherwise, I agree you'll probably have to clay the car.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:41 AM
M.J

after i clay the car the dots disappear , the dots came from nxt spray wax i dunno why but it leave dots behind it .
Old 04-30-2006, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
why dont you want to use dawn?
it wont hurt the paint, just cleans it before a good wax!
Old 04-30-2006, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
The biggest problem w/ spray wax is that it doesn't last very long, but if you follow the instructions on the bottle, it will not streak or blot. Regarding dawn dishwahing detergent, I would definitely keep it away from a car's paint finish--stick to dishes. (They don't call it dishwashing detergent for nothing.) I know there is a raging debate about whether to use it on car finishes, but on all of the numerous threads I have followed here, on Autopia, DetailersClub, and elsewhere, regarding Dawn, the professionals (except for Sol Zaino) all say "don't do it!."

Last edited by Jayhawk; 04-30-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally Posted by Jayhawk
The biggest problem w/ spray wax is that it doesn't last very long, but if you follow the instructions on the bottle, it will not streak or blot. Regarding dawn dishwahing detergent, I would definitely keep it away from a car's paint finish--stick to dishes. (They don't call it dishwashing detergent for nothing.) I know there is a raging debate about whether to use it on car finishes, but on all of the numerous threads I have followed here, on Autopia, DetailersClub, and elsewhere, regarding Dawn, the professionals (except for Sol Zaino) all say "don't do it!."
But no matter what some uninformed people say on an internet forum, there is no ingredient in Dawn dishwashing liquid that will hurt your finish. It will remove wax which exposes your finish to the elements (which is why it's not a good product to use for regular cleaning), but it does nothing to the paint or the clearcoat of the car. If someone says it does, I would like to know specifically what is contained in dawn that will "hurt" the finish.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by revstriker
But no matter what some uninformed people say on an internet forum, there is no ingredient in Dawn dishwashing liquid that will hurt your finish. It will remove wax which exposes your finish to the elements (which is why it's not a good product to use for regular cleaning), but it does nothing to the paint or the clearcoat of the car. If someone says it does, I would like to know specifically what is contained in dawn that will "hurt" the finish.
It is called detergent, as in Dawn dishwashing detergent!
Attached Thumbnails still having problems with removing wax !!-authority.jpg  
Old 05-03-2006, 02:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
It is called detergent, as in Dawn dishwashing detergent!
Yes, and the definition of a detergent is a "cleaning agent", usually describing a cleaning agent that is able to emulsify oils, hold dirt in suspension, and act as a wetting agent. The term detergent itself does not describe a specific ingredient, and certainly the term alone does not describe something that that is damaging to the finish on your car.

As I've said earlier, using Dawn will not do any damage to your clearcoat or paint finish. However, if you were to wash your car with Dawn all the time, your car would be unprotected from the elements.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Okay! I give up... You do your Dawn, and I'll do mine.

Dawn Marie
Attached Thumbnails still having problems with removing wax !!-dawn-marie.jpg  
Old 05-03-2006, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One with 4 wheels
Originally Posted by M.J
i still have some residue from my old wax in dots can any one tell me about a specific product you guys try, and don't tell me use dawn coz i don't want to use dish saop on my car !!!!!!
I have those dots too from that stupid spray wax.......but not on my paint, it's on the lining bar where the windows and doors meet. How do you remove those silly dots!!!! I tried Dawn on that lining and it's still there!

You can kinda see the spots on the lining bar thingamabob......

Last edited by TA-9FF; 05-03-2006 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Okay! I give up... You do your Dawn, and I'll do mine.

Dawn Marie
LOL! : I don't think THAT Dawn would hurt your finish either!
Old 05-04-2006, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
DAWN should not be used regularly as some people say it does break down some components of the clearcoat. I am not sure if there is any scientific data proven on this but I haven't used dawn on my vehicles more than a couple of times...
Old 05-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally Posted by Kar don
DAWN should not be used regularly as some people say it does break down some components of the clearcoat. I am not sure if there is any scientific data proven on this but I haven't used dawn on my vehicles more than a couple of times...
The harshest chemical component in Dawn is a small amount of Ethyl Alcohol (Ethanol) which should not have a negative affect on a polyurethane clear coat finish. Granted, ethanol is a corrosive (a rather mild one when compared with methyl alcohol {methanol}), and a long term exposure to it could cause some damage to painted surfaces, and even to a clear coat. But the small amount contained in Dawn, and using it to wash your car in a normal way (wash and rinse) should not damage the clear coat. In theory, parking your car outside in the natural light is more damaging to the clear coat than dawn.

That said, I am NOT suggesting that anyone switch from a detergent manufactured specifically to wash cars, to one like Dawn for general use. Dawn should be reserved for when you need to strip off old wax build up, probably at the most, once per year.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Originally Posted by revstriker
The harshest chemical component in Dawn is a small amount of Ethyl Alcohol (Ethanol) which should not have a negative affect on a polyurethane clear coat finish. Granted, ethanol is a corrosive (a rather mild one when compared with methyl alcohol {methanol}), and a long term exposure to it could cause some damage to painted surfaces, and even to a clear coat. But the small amount contained in Dawn, and using it to wash your car in a normal way (wash and rinse) should not damage the clear coat. In theory, parking your car outside in the natural light is more damaging to the clear coat than dawn.

That said, I am NOT suggesting that anyone switch from a detergent manufactured specifically to wash cars, to one like Dawn for general use. Dawn should be reserved for when you need to strip off old wax build up, probably at the most, once per year.
I would say it is time to sell all of that stock you must hold in Dawn. The Dow is at near-record highs at this moment, and you could make a fortune!
Attached Thumbnails still having problems with removing wax !!-dawn.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: still having problems with removing wax !!