Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

MB of Walnut Creek - Detailing Special

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350

I've been wanting to take my car in for detailing, so I gave my local MB a holler today to see if they could recommend someone to work with.

I was surprised to find out they actually started doing it themselves! This is a new thing for them, so they are promoting it with a special rate - a full interior/exterior detailing (the guy wants me to leave the car in for 5-6 hours, that's how long it will take) for $209.95. I thought that was a really good deal for a (supposedly) good detailing.

Anyhow, I thought I'd share if anyone is interested. The dealer is MB of Walnut Creek, in California. And yes, they require an appointment for this through the service department.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally Posted by lightnng
I've been wanting to take my car in for detailing, so I gave my local MB a holler today to see if they could recommend someone to work with.

I was surprised to find out they actually started doing it themselves! This is a new thing for them, so they are promoting it with a special rate - a full interior/exterior detailing (the guy wants me to leave the car in for 5-6 hours, that's how long it will take) for $209.95. I thought that was a really good deal for a (supposedly) good detailing.

Anyhow, I thought I'd share if anyone is interested. The dealer is MB of Walnut Creek, in California. And yes, they require an appointment for this through the service department.
That does sound like a good deal. However, I am always very wary of dealers when it comes to even washing cars. In my experience, they have not done a very good job at this. When it comes to offering a service for a fee, dealers are normally doing so to make money. So I would ask exactly what do they do for this price? Especially on the outside. What kind of products do they use? And then, I would try to look at some dark colored cars to see how they turned out when done; any swirl marks etc.

I hate to sound pessimistic, but a good detailer is probably earning at least $20 an hour. So that's $120 per car right there. Figure around $20 for materials used and your looking at at a profit for the dealership of about $70, or about 33% (when you factor in insurance, taxes etc. it's probably less). I can't see a dealer performing a service at this profit rate which means they are either employing people without good experience, or they are using inferior products, or a combination of both (the latter more likely).

Anyway, best of luck with it, and let us know how everything turns out.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:56 AM

Formerly 2000 CLK430, 2001 S430

Revstriker provided great insight and I agree. Your forum title caught my eye, I reside adjacent to Walnut Creek, CA.
I have taken my CLK and may take my new used S430 to MB of Walnut Creek. The stealership changed hands during Xmas of 2005, they were called Stead MB. (Word I learned from the forum) From what I heard, the new owners (corporation) came in at Christmas and cleaned house with no notice. Kept about 75% of the workers and released/replaced the others. Asked almost all of the employees to take a reduced salary. It was a very classy MB Stealership, charging retail, retail pricing. Noticed now, they have these large bright neon price stickers on their used car windshields, looks like a cheap used car stealership, with the salesmans hanging by the front door. I haven't had to use their service dept, but used their parts dept, some new faces.

Please provide feedback on the results of your detailing for the readers. Sounds like a good price for detailing.

I am trying something a cousin taught me, using for last 2 years. He hasn't washed his nice, MB, BMW, Escalade with water ever. I was skeptical for a year, but convinced now. We used Turtle Spray wax, spray on, wipe with towel, turning over frequently to pickup loose dirt. Cousin does this twice a month, I spray once a month and use an auto dust mop in between waxing. We wipe down the wheels with another cleaner without water too. Takes about half an hour or less. I decided after spending $20 every other week and 2 hours of the weekend. Rather use the time golfing.

Great forum!
Old 04-25-2006, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
Yah I was there last week and those neon stickers look so cheap they should only do that to non MB cars or the trade in.

I like to do my own waxing with Zaino on my car so I wouldnt know how good they detail your car.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:29 PM

see sig
I live in Walnut Creek and have some experience with what is now "Mercedes Benz of Walnut Creek" formally "Stead Motors" If you are going to have them detail your car I would talk to Claudio directly (he is the main guy in the detail shop & can be usually found in the first area in the back of the building (not in the tent) As far as the stealership (like that word) goes, the service writers, mechanics, sales guys & others, mostley are still there (good people). The new owners (Sonic) fired the GM (John Hastings) & the service manager (Randy Lee) replacing the GM with a guy from another dealership, HONDA!

After having MANY issues/problems (starting @ 200 miles new in 2003 through 20K, including but not limited to them scratcing my black E55, washing it after 1 of many visits to the service department) we asked the GM for some help in having the car replaced. It took some time and a lot of phone calls/letters, but they did replace the car. I was able to reorder the car equiped as I wanted it. So in the long run I still regard them as good people.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:40 PM

Elegant Auto Detailing on 3rd Street in Walnut Creek.

Ask for Billy. Before the new owners took over Billy did all of their cars.

Complete interior/exterior detail is about $250.