Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Hand polishing or a buffer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 MB E320 & 2010 Nissan Elgrand
Hand polishing or a buffer?

I am about to polish my car.

Still wondering, is it best to hand polishing the car or buy a buffer?

Is it possible to get a decent result from hand polishing?

Thanks..
Old 04-26-2006, 12:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You can get great results by hand, but to really get the best results you'll need a buffer.

Everyone says things by hand are best, but detailing is an area I've found it's a lot better to have a machine. I'd read all the stickies in the forum about detailing before you give it a shot though. It's smart to do it right the first time by hand so you learn the ins and outs and then move onto using a machine.

BTW - If i remember right, some waxes / sealants (sp?) / polishes don't respond well to being used by a machine. I don't remember if that's true or just something that is stuck in my head for a lame reason. I'm sure another member will chime in soon.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally Posted by nibo83
I am about to polish my car.

Still wondering, is it best to hand polishing the car or buy a buffer?

Is it possible to get a decent result from hand polishing?

Thanks..
It really depends on what kind of "polishing" you're trying to accomplish. For most waxes, and polymer sealers (such as zaino polish which I use), a buffer is not needed. You will get just as good, if not better results by hand. If you are using an abrasive type polish to "cut in" to the finish (to remove swirl marks etc.), then a good quality buffer is a worthwhile investment.

By all means though, avoid those Pep Boy / Walmart car buffers that sell for $20-50. These are junk, and will actually cause swirl marks in some cases. Many of us on this forum have invested in a specific Porter Cable (PC) random orbital sander/buffer which does a great job for this kind of polishing. Expect to spend around $100-120 for one of these.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS-500, SL-500, BOXSTER-S
There are so many variables involved with this decision. I would suggest you lurk around the forum at autopia.org