Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

"Claying" is amazing!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 Audi R8, '09 SL63, '10 GLK, '10 ML550
"Claying" is amazing!

I have a new 2006 SL500, but it was my 2004 Toyota Highlander that needed immediate attention. I had read about claying on this forum and decided to give it a try for white overspray on my BLACK Highlander. I must have picked up the overspray from newly-painted markings on the roads. There was a fine mist of white paint all over the front third of my car. I tried waxing it off, but that didn't help at all.

I bought the Mother's Clay Kit at Pep Boys and worked through the instructions. I was not only amazed at how it took the overspray off, but that my car's paint came out looking like black glass. It is something I will do to my SL the next chance I can get. I just don't understand how a chunk of clay can do such an incredible job. It doesn't make any sense to me. But, I could feel the overspray being wiped off as I moved the clay across the surface of the paint. The only downside to claying is that it takes awhile to do this job because you have to wash your car, clay it, then wax it. So, I will have to wait for a day that I have several hours of free time before I tackle this job on my SL. Claying my SL will be a pleasure, though!

Claying is really amazing and works well. I am sold on it. I just don't understand how it works!

Sue’s 2006 SL500
European Delivery February 2006

Old 05-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
yeah it is!
Old 05-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally Posted by spnslc
I have a new 2006 SL500, but it was my 2004 Toyota Highlander that needed immediate attention. I had read about claying on this forum and decided to give it a try for white overspray on my BLACK Highlander. I must have picked up the overspray from newly-painted markings on the roads. There was a fine mist of white paint all over the front third of my car. I tried waxing it off, but that didn't help at all.

I bought the Mother's Clay Kit at Pep Boys and worked through the instructions. I was not only amazed at how it took the overspray off, but that my car's paint came out looking like black glass. It is something I will do to my SL the next chance I can get. I just don't understand how a chunk of clay can do such an incredible job. It doesn't make any sense to me. But, I could feel the overspray being wiped off as I moved the clay across the surface of the paint. The only downside to claying is that it takes awhile to do this job because you have to wash your car, clay it, then wax it. So, I will have to wait for a day that I have several hours of free time before I tackle this job on my SL. Claying my SL will be a pleasure, though!

Claying is really amazing and works well. I am sold on it. I just don't understand how it works!
Well, in a nutshell, it works by grabbing on to small particles that have embedded themselves in your finish, and suspending them in the clay. Its a perfect way of prepping your finish for wax. Even a brand new car can benefit from this (rail dust, road dust, from transportation). Always remember to use plenty of lubricant (a high concentration of car wash soap and water in a spray bottle works great), and turn the clay bar in on itself after you complete each section. Don't forget to clay the class on your car as well!

I'm personally not a big fan of "Mothers" (I use Zaino), but just remember you do get what you pay for.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

2007 CLK350 Sport, 2006 E320 CDI, 1978 Cessna 152
Clay is amazing stuff. I have used it on cars that are 20 years old (1986 190D) and it still turned out looking almost as good as new. The prep work you do on the car before you put wax on it really makes a difference. My GF loves the car when I finish washing/claying/waxing it. She says "Wow, the paint is so SOFT!"

Last edited by RunInColorado; 05-29-2006 at 07:54 AM.