Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Tire Shine Tip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 237 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Thumbs up Tire Shine Tip

I have been using the spray on tire shine for some time now, and let me tell you, spray on is a pain in the ***. If you aim straight you hit the fender (on low profile tire nozzle setting). If you aim slightly downward, you coat the wheel with it. Now, another alternative for low gloss is to spray into a sponge and apply manually. My version is a spin to this idea.

I have ditched the idea of spraying in on anything. Instead, I took an old pair of torn up sweatpants, cut them into sizable pieces of fabric, and use them as applicators, since they are fairly soft. Next, the liquid is a great product, so I unscrew the spray nozzle and cover the exposed top with fabric. Flip a couple times and immediately apply to tire. Spend 3-4 minutes on each tire repeating the method and rubbing the liquid into the tire. Fender untouched, rim untouched, and simple manual application with a great shine that's fairly deep yet not too bright.

Product: Black Magic Tire Wet
Old 08-10-2006, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S 430
What I use on my low profile tires is a silicon liquid from a professional detail supply company...I pour it into a old coffee can and use a $.99 1" painters brush from home depot...takes less then a minute a tire..dip it in and paint it on
Old 08-10-2006, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 237 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
The brush sounds like a good idea. Maybe I will start to use a brush and let the liquid settle in for a few minutes, and then go and shine it with the cloth. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:56 AM

'07 GL450
Originally Posted by lorinserSclass
What I use on my low profile tires is a silicon liquid from a professional detail supply company...I pour it into a old coffee can and use a $.99 1" painters brush from home depot...takes less then a minute a tire..dip it in and paint it on
Where can you buy the professional grade liquid silicone? Any links?

Thanks.
Mel
Old 08-13-2006, 12:18 PM

S 430
D-9 Ultra Gloss

The best stuff that i have ever used is from E B Wax Supply in Davie Florida their number is (954) 792-4626 address is 4970 SW 52nd St
Davie, FL 33314 I would call them and see if they will ship..it costs $20 for a gallon..you need to paint it on the tires and let it dry for about an hour..this makes the tires look dripping wet..it is just like tire wet and eagle one except it lasts longer than half a day..I have gone through ran storms on I95 and still have this stuff on..but remember it is a liquid so I carry a rag and after about a mile I get out and wipe off any over spray...the best results is when I put it on at night and let it sit..the next morning there is little overspray when I drive..the stuff is called "D-9 Ultra Gloss" its a dark blue
Old 08-13-2006, 12:20 PM

S 430
oh yea..they sell the paint brushes there also
Old 08-15-2006, 03:36 PM
E43

2000 E430 Sport
I have found that the best product to apply tire shine with are round, white terry cloth applicator pads. The applicator pads have a sponge on the inside of the terry cloth, and you can find them cheap at Target. Spray tire shine directly on the applicator then wipe on the tire for a nice even application. I have no overspray issues this way.