Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Paintless dent removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 SLK
Paintless dent removal

My wife and I bought the yellow SLK that was loaned to all of the magazines for their testing and photo shoots when the SLK was first introduced to the US. You may remember it from the early pictures. Today it only has 34,000 miles and mostly stays in the garage. Last week someone banged their door into the passenger side door about an inch from the back of the door panel and I was wondering if anyone in here has any suggestions on how to best remove this ding. The car has no other dings and we would like to keep it looking its best.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
What size is the ding? Did it chip the paint? If you dont mind them drilling a small hole in the side of your door and the ding is small I say go for it. They usually come out perfect.
Old 08-30-2002, 06:10 AM

1998 SLK
Al,

Thanks for the reply. The dent is deeper than usual, and is the only ding on the side of the car. The clear looks a little bit chipped but not through to metal. I will try to take a picture. I don't mind the hole as long as a plastic gromet is installed and sealed. You just one time want to be close enough to see it happen...

Do you know of a national company that does a good job? Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by ScreaminYeloSLK
Al,

Thanks for the reply. The dent is deeper than usual, and is the only ding on the side of the car. The clear looks a little bit chipped but not through to metal. I will try to take a picture. I don't mind the hole as long as a plastic gromet is installed and sealed. You just one time want to be close enough to see it happen...

Do you know of a national company that does a good job? Thanks for your suggestions.
we use dent wizard around here, works pretty good.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
yeah dentwizard is pretty cheap. I would try that before i drilled door
Old 08-30-2002, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Originally posted by TimmyC230boy
yeah dentwizard is pretty cheap. I would try that before i drilled door
Actually all PDR places including dent wizard will drill the door. That is how they access the dent with their tools.
Old 08-31-2002, 07:00 PM

2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
There are some places I've heard of that will use dry ice and a suction cup. Will try and find out the name. I would advise against drilling a hole in your door. Your asking for BIG problems later on.

The longer the dent sits, the less of the chance the dry ice technique will be successful.