Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

SIMPLE Soap Application

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 188 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Thumbs up SIMPLE Soap Application

Recently, I discovered a newer significantly quicker method of applying automotive soap to my car. I begin with a pressurized rinsing of the car, and then switch to this common hose attachment.

It is a pesticide/water hose sprayer. Only in the bottle, I mix the detergent and a bit of water. The result is soapy water being sprayed all over the car. Once it is lathered up, I use a wet towel to grab any additional dirt, then thoroughly rinse the car.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Not a bad idea. I used to do this with degreaser when I was detailing multiple cars so I didn't have to pull the trigger on the bottle a thousand times.

Another popular tool out there is a foamer that attaches to your hose. A little more bulky than what I liked, but did a good job.

By "pre lathering" the car, you'll also provide for more lubrication, and thus, reduce the possibilities of swirling. I would then suggest washing the car with two quality mitts: one for the top half of the vehicle, one dedicated to the bottom of the vehicle (and a separate one for your wheels).
Old 10-03-2006, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500/W220/2000
Interesting idea! I just go through a $4 brushless car wash (high pressure lower body wash going in followed by two rounds w/ soap and two w/ distilled water) and get an excellent result--and I never have to dry the car. It dries w/out spots and looks fantastic. Never get my feet wet either...

Last edited by Jayhawk; 10-03-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Foam Spray Gun:
To remove soils the surface tension that bonds them must be released, then the soils encapsulated and held in suspension to be rinsed away without redeposit or leaving a residue. The low surface tension improves the cleaning process by increasing the surface wetting ability; this provides a more intimate contact between the surface and the cleaning agents.

How can you remove abrasive dirt from a paint film surface without causing marring/scratches? (Butchers® Shower Foam Gun - http://www.messnerinc.com/webapp/cat...em=BAQ-4165900) Fill the container with a quality car wash solution (Stage One Prewash-http://www.stratmosphere.com/STAGE/index.htm or Zaino Z7 Car Wash) preferably one that that contains an amino functional surfactants; this is defined as a material that can greatly reduce the surface tension of water when used in very low concentrations

Mixing liquid soap (preferably one that contains glycerine or oil to provide lubrication) and water, and them adding air will produce foam, which becomes a Sequestant (Sequester [: to hold in solution) which encapsulates the soils (dirt / grit / etc) and enables their removal without intimate contact with the paint surface, minimizing surface marring or scratches.

By using a pH balanced ( to help preserve your wax /sealant ) foam wash will help to remove damaging dirt particles from your paint it's also provides a cushion (foam) to enable a towel to glide just above the surface to avoid rubbing any dirt /grit into your paint finish,

Methodology- Select a suitable dilution setting of the five available. Take your time and flow the foam over each panel, allow to dwell for about 10 minutes or so, then agitate with a sheepskin mitt or a foam core waffle weave Microfiber towel using the foam gun in one hand, and the mitt in the other, once all of the panels have been completed, rinse vehicle with clean water and dry thoroughly.