Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Seat hole/damge repair question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Seat hole/damge repair question

'04 E320
Below is a pic of a 3/8" hole/damaged area of the front passenger seat on the seat cushion surface close to the rear where it meets the backrest and driver's side edge. Doesn't go all the way through the (webbing/backing?) but certainly the leather surface. Previous owner wasn't a smoker so it's not a burn. Also in a area where your butt wouldn't make contact.
Anyhow, my question : is this something that I should consider repairing, having repaired by a pro, or is it one of those things that's best left alone ? (doesn't appear that it will get worse on it's own)

Old 10-14-2006, 11:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
a) Surface Preparation-
Leatherique Prepping Agent will remove silicone, wax, dirt, oil, mould, toxins, perspiration and residue from the surfaces to enable proper adherence of the applied product (repairing cuts, cracks or leather surface restoration dye) non-toxic, non-flammable and biodegradable, the formulation safely cleans and prepares all leather surfaces. Ensure a dirt and dust free environment, with adequate ventilation, preferably indoors.
Methodology
•Clean leather surfaces with a 6:1 solution of Water / Woolite®
•Scrub surface with synthetic steel wool #0 and Super Prepping Agent, sand the surface in a circular motion, then wipe with the prepping agent.
•Wet-sand surfaces with 240 and 400-grit abrasive papers and a 5:1 lubricant solution (distilled water/Woolite®) to remove existing dye.
•Use a soft horse hair brush (Groit's Leather & Interior Brush) and/or a vacuum to remove any abrasive dust
•Wipe all surfaces with a clean, damp100% cotton Microfiber towel
•Put prepping agent into a fine-mist spray bottle or flask
•Liberally spray a 100% cotton terry towel
•Apply to surfaces with a gentle scrubbing motion to remove any silicone, oils or other contaminants
•Rinse the towel frequently with clean warm water
•When complete wipe all surfaces with a clean, dry 100% cotton Microfiber towel

Surfaces are now ready for leather restoration repairs or the application of a leather dye

c) Repairing Cuts and Tears:
A cut through the leather must be repaired with a patch on the underside.
Methodology
•Clean and prepare the leather surfaces as in 12a above
•Slice through with a one-sided razor blade to gain access to the underside. The leather patch must be larger than the cut, work the patch into the hole so it can be glued to the underside of the seat leather, suede sides together.
•Use suitable leather adhesive that can be sanded (Rightlook leather adhesive, Rightlook.com) do not use contact cement because it adheres instantly when the two surfaces touch, which would prevent an inside patch from being worked into position.
•Apply the glue through the hole so that both the seat leather and patch are coated
•Work the patch into place, then press the two pieces together and hold them there until the glue sets up. After the glue has cured fill the repaired cut with flexible filler
Old 10-14-2006, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 CLK 500 cab
It looks as if the hole doens't go all the way through. Our friends at Leatherique (leatherique.com) make a flexible crack filler for leather and vinyl. I tried it on a seat a long time ago and it seems to me that the result was less flexible than the leather but much better than no fix at all. On a small spot like yours in a location like that it should do the trick. It can be sanded level and dyed to match.

Any repair like that would be visible to those who know where it is because I don't think you'll be able to match the grain and perforations unless you work in a small piece of matching leather, as Togwt suggests. But it would be safer and less visible than leaving the spot unrepaired.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Thanks for both of the responses. It's actually more visible in the photo
because of the flash. When viewing the whole seat, not as visible either.

I think I'm going to leave it alone for the time being. Again, not in a spot where
there is body contact so it shouldn't get any worse. Can't imagine how the previous owner did this.