Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How to wash and polish our cars ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11' E-350 BlueTec
Question How to wash and polish our cars ?

I was wondering if anyone has some tips about washing, waxing and taking good care of our MBs. I'm using a couple of Turtle Wax products (like car shampoo and wax) but I also saw a couple of other things/products at MBUSA.COM that are supposed to be specially manufactured for MB....... any recommendations or toughts ?!?!?!? I'm pretty sure that most of us prefer to wash our cars at home instead of going to a cheap Mr.Wash center....
Thanks in advance!
Old 09-05-2002, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please see the Detailing and Automotive Care Forum
Old 09-05-2002, 12:21 AM

11' E-350 BlueTec
Thanks!
Old 09-05-2002, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by Lynn
Please see the Detailing and Automotive Care Forum
Moving this msg there now....
Old 09-05-2002, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Moving this thread here kind of defeats the purpose of the thread, doesn't it?

The intent of my reply was to direct people here. It can't do that if it is already here.
Old 09-05-2002, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
check the sticky threads above, great tips that i posted.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:30 PM

95 BMW 740il :)
Wash and wax

The first thing you should do is TROW OUT THE TURTLE WAX! Nothing but Meguiars should be aloud to touch your car. I've been to car show after car show. From hot rods to imports, and everyone says the same thing. Only use Meguiars. Nothing else comes close in comparison. As for how to wash it, here are some tips:
>Wash your car every week.
>wax every other week using Meguiar's Gold Class car wax. Here's another tip on that wax though, only use it if your paint is in top notch condition. If there is any impurities in your paint, I suggest you get them out first, other wise the wax won't look as good. To do that, you need to clay bar your car. Go to a Pepboys, or any other car shop, and ask about claybaring, they will set you up.
>every other evening touch up your car with either Meguiar's Quik Detailer, or Meguiar's Final Inspection. That will remove the dust, without scratiching your paint.
>As for the interior, I do my leather twice a week, just to keep it in the best shape. The leather wipes are good when you are on teh go, and want to do a quick job, but they are hard to despence. The spray on stuff works better, but it does take more time an energy

Those are my tips, now make sure to keep your gem nice and clean.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:13 AM

www.autopia-carport.com
Old 09-06-2002, 08:40 AM

2002 C320 Sport Wagon
Re: Wash and wax

Originally posted by CtheDREAMER
The first thing you should do is TROW OUT THE TURTLE WAX! Nothing but Meguiars should be aloud to touch your car. I've been to car show after car show. From hot rods to imports, and everyone says the same thing. Only use Meguiars. Nothing else comes close in comparison. As for how to wash it, here are some tips:
>Wash your car every week.
>wax every other week using Meguiar's Gold Class car wax. Here's another tip on that wax though, only use it if your paint is in top notch condition. If there is any impurities in your paint, I suggest you get them out first, other wise the wax won't look as good. To do that, you need to clay bar your car. Go to a Pepboys, or any other car shop, and ask about claybaring, they will set you up.
>every other evening touch up your car with either Meguiar's Quik Detailer, or Meguiar's Final Inspection. That will remove the dust, without scratiching your paint.
>As for the interior, I do my leather twice a week, just to keep it in the best shape. The leather wipes are good when you are on teh go, and want to do a quick job, but they are hard to despence. The spray on stuff works better, but it does take more time an energy

Those are my tips, now make sure to keep your gem nice and clean.
Great idea! However, how many of us have the time and opportunity (city dweller) to do this? What I'd like to see are recommendations for specific people/places who can do such things with care and, I hope, not excessive cost.
Old 09-06-2002, 04:26 PM

e220 cdi
- What is claybaring ?????

hi

what is claybaring ?

thanks

Robin..
Old 09-07-2002, 12:50 AM

Re: - What is claybaring ?????

Originally posted by bonathan
hi

what is claybaring ?

thanks

Robin..
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=14901
Old 09-07-2002, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
Meguiars makes good products, but there are far better products on the market when it comes to a) wax and b) leather products.

Also, waxing once a week is not necessary because carnauba cannot be layered due to solvent content. It does replenish the wax, but if you don't have the time, don't worry about it too much (or switch to a synthetic).

every other evening touch up your car with either Meguiar's Quik Detailer, or Meguiar's Final Inspection. That will remove the dust, without scratiching your paint.
Just be careful to use quality microfiber towels and only use the QD on a clean surface. It can and will scratch if implented incorrectly.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:08 AM

95 BMW 740il :)
Oops, did I say once a week? I ment once every other week. ^.^;;