Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Zymol v. Zaino

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 997 C2S
Zymol v. Zaino

From what I've read in these posts, I've gathered that Zaino lasts far longer than Zymol does. I've been a die-hard Zymol fan (HD Cleanse + Concours wax) for years, but am thinking of making the switch to Zaino.

I personally don't mind waashing/waxing often, but I want the best depth of shine (and coverup of swirls!) on my black car. I was thinking of either buying the full range of Zaino paint products or the Zymol sampler kit with their high-end waxes. Any opinions folks? Thanks!
Old 09-05-2002, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Don't know about Zaino... but I did try the high end sampler kit and the atlantique and concourse were amazing waxes... Worst part was that I kept getting hungry when putting them on.. tasty smell!
Old 09-05-2002, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
Zymol is generally overpriced. Try some Pinnacle Souveran wax for $50 or P21S wax for $25 to get similar results.

This is a carnauba wax (Zymol) vs. synthetic sealant (Zaino) issue. Zaino will last much longer than Zymol, no contest. The shine of each is different though. Zymol is probably a little more deep and shimmering. Zaino is more reflective. The biggest advantage to Zaino is the durability. I bet after three weeks your Zymol has lots most of its slickness. Am I right?

Krispy, if you want a) depth and b) swirl cover-up, don't go with Zaino. It could end up magnifying the swirls. IMO, if you are going to use Zaino, you need to do a full swirl removal or put it on when the car is new. I think if you want something new, go ahead and buy some S100 or P21S wax. Maybe even Pinnacle Souveran.

Last edited by JustinTRW; 09-05-2002 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-05-2002, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 997 C2S
Originally posted by JustinTRW
Zymol is generally overpriced. Try some Pinnacle Souveran wax for $50 or P21S wax for $25 to get similar results.

This is a carnauba wax (Zymol) vs. synthetic sealant (Zaino) issue. Zaino will last much longer than Zymol, no contest. The shine of each is different though. Zymol is probably a little more deep and shimmering. Zaino is more reflective. The biggest advantage to Zaino is the durability. I bet after three weeks your Zymol has lots most of its slickness. Am I right?

Krispy, if you want a) depth and b) swirl cover-up, don't go with Zaino. It could end up magnifying the swirls. IMO, if you are going to use Zaino, you need to do a full swirl removal or put it on when the car is new. I think if you want something new, go ahead and buy some S100 or P21S wax. Maybe even Pinnacle Souveran.
Well, I've had Zymol last well over 2 months when I went away on vacation and left the car in the garage the whole time. But in general, yes, it doesn't last that long. When I didn't have a garage, I started using Blitz wax -- much easier to apply, lasted considerably longer.

How do I do a full-swirl removal? Seems once you put the swirls in, they don't seem to go away. :P
Old 09-05-2002, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally posted by KrispyK
Well, I've had Zymol last well over 2 months when I went away on vacation and left the car in the garage the whole time. But in general, yes, it doesn't last that long. When I didn't have a garage, I started using Blitz wax -- much easier to apply, lasted considerably longer.

How do I do a full-swirl removal? Seems once you put the swirls in, they don't seem to go away. :P
Basically, if you are a do-it-yourselfer, you need either a rotary buffer or an orbital. Rotaries can burn holes in your paint in the wrong hands, or even create buffer marks. A master rotary operator should be able to use it without making any marks.

So, your option is do get a quality orbital (not the kind in most stores) and the right polishes. Hand application would not be worth the effort or results. I have a Porter-Cable 7424 6" dual action polisher/sander. I have several different kinds of pads and polishes I use. If you really want to do a swirl removal, I could make a diagnosis for you. Want is the color of your paint and how bad are the swirls (this is really subjective). A good way to judge the severity is by how far apart they are in the sun.