Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Waxing/Polishing with Paint Chips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 05:11 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes C240 Desert Silver Java Interior
Waxing/Polishing with Paint Chips?

I've had the car for 5months now and only done routine washings. This weekend is shaping up to be a lonely one so I thought I'd spend some quality time with my baby.

The front end of the car has quite a few paint chips so I'm worried about waxing. I've heard that the wax will fill in the paint chip making it much more obvious and later creating an even larger blemish. So what should I do? I thought about taking it to get detailed but I honestly think those guys will do a worse job than I could ever do.

Also, since you can only order the Zaino stuff, though I've read that its the best, I'd need something I can go buy.

Appreciate your recommendations.

Richard
Old 09-09-2002, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
I think I understand....

If you have a rockchip that has not gone down to the primer, say on a black car, you have a little black pit. However, once you wax over it, the wax (white in color) fills in the pit and makes it more obvious. In rockchips that are already white, there will be no change in appearance. Right?

Well, if you use a carnauba wax, you can possible use a q-tip or even a toothpick (CAREFUL, BE VERY CAREFUL) to pick out the wax. However, with Zaino you will not have this problem most likely. It should dry relatively clear.