Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Wax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E-350 4-Matic with Sport Suspension
Wax?

I'm looking for advise on the best wax to use on a Mercedes Benz?

Would any of you use Nu-Finish on your vehicle?

Please advise!
Old 09-17-2002, 04:14 PM

TCC5,

Your vehicles look outstanding!!!!

I can't understand why someone would use $5.00 wax
(Nu-Finish) on a $100,000 vehicle?

I have to believe that the chemicals in Zymol are better for a car's paint than Nu-finish's main ingredient, kerosene!

Thanks again for the advise!
Old 09-17-2002, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I agree that Zaino is tops !

Off to the Detailing and Car Care forum we go....
Old 09-17-2002, 05:08 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
Thumbs up Nu Finish....it's the one!!!!

hey everyone,

i use nu finish. (i can hear the gasps already). i've tried a lot of your basic waxes, and nu finish is just as good or better than anything you can use by hand on a vehicle... imho! one reason i like it so much is that it is easy to place on and take off. i don't use any mechanical buffers...just elbow grease. i can wax my S55 in about 35 minutes. my ML500 in 40 minutes. one thing to mention though...both of these vehicles never get that dirty or see any rough duty. i baby my benz's to a fault. my GMC pickup on the other hand sees every crappy day pennsylvania weather can through at it and it still looks great using nu finish. imho....all my vehicles retain an as new finish for as long as i own them. it may be an inexpensive and not a fancy way of polishing a vehicle but it really works great!
oh...one more thing....when consumer reports tests auto polishes...nu finish is always in the top 3!
Old 09-17-2002, 05:42 PM

2007 S
I'm a firm believer in zymol for car care. I can't say I would go so far as to use the special Zymol compounds that have ground rhino horn for $5000/oz, but the mainstream zymol stuff is pretty good.

Ed
Old 09-17-2002, 05:47 PM

S55inPA,

To be honest, since Mercedes uses superior paint and the most current application / painting process, you can basically shine one of their cars with spit!

I'm sure that Hans in the paint department would still be angry at S55inPA for using kerosene (Nu-Finish) on his S55 AMG!

Since the original Zymol formula was created in Germany for horse carriages, I would have to give the nod to Zymol over
Nu-Finish!

One curious note about Zymol Cleaner; its smells exactly like Meguiar's #2 Cleaner?
Old 09-17-2002, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
NuFinish is fairly abrasive because it is made for people who don't take much care of their vehicle. Consumer reports is one of the terrible publications IMO. They cater to mainstream buyers, which I suppose is their target audience. However, you will hardly ever find the best products. I remember they rated a Bose sound system as the best. What does that tell you?

Ultimately, the best thing to use is what you like best.

My favorites:
- Polymer sealant: Zaino
- Carnauba wax: P21S paste wax
- polymer wax: Einszett

Some form of protection would be beneficial to the paint....
Old 09-17-2002, 06:45 PM

JustinTRW,

I know the best waxes are not sold in Pep Boys, but I'm not sure where to locate / buy the top-of--the-line cleaners, sealants and waxes!

Where can I locate the best stuff?
Old 09-17-2002, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
is there a benefit to mixing p21s w/ zaino?
Old 09-17-2002, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
zaino- www.zainobros.com other stuff, www.properautocare.com but justin knows a lot more sites
Old 09-17-2002, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally posted by young
is there a benefit to mixing p21s w/ zaino?
Zaino needs to bond to the surface of the paint, so for that reason it cannot be mixed with P21S. You can however put P21S over Zaino, but they you cannot use Zaino again without striping it first. There aren't really any benefits to doing this.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:45 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
Nu Finish....it's the one!!!!

hey everyone,

just a side note to the polish we use on our vehicles.
i went to nu finish's web site. guess what car they had displayed on their main page????........a bmw 3 series....maybe it's not the best polish after all!!!!:p :p :p ...because we all know what an overpriced, tempermental ,and wanna be car it is!!!!
Old 09-18-2002, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Hehe.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
I've used NuFinish before, and I liked the way that it shined, and it's ease of use. But IMO, there is no comparison to the Zaino for which I use now. Zaino also goes on and off very easy. It does not stain any surrounding trim, and you can apply it in the direct sun, or shade. Plus, it lasts!! I think this is the biggest plus for me.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:57 AM

Revstriker,

Thank you for that informed response!

Please, please, please explain to S55inPA the virtues of Zaino!

I think that Mercedes-Benz should quote in the Owner's Manual that "Under no circimstance should Nu-Finish (Kerosene) touch any outer surface of a Mercedes-Benz!"

p.s. I'm just busting S55inPA. His vehicles are perfect!
You cannot tell the difference between one of his vehicles and one on the showroom!

I just wish that he would use more modern wax than Nu-Finish!
Old 09-20-2002, 04:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by KKSPEED
Revstriker,

Thank you for that informed response!

Please, please, please explain to S55inPA the virtues of Zaino!

I think that Mercedes-Benz should quote in the Owner's Manual that "Under no circimstance should Nu-Finish (Kerosene) touch any outer surface of a Mercedes-Benz!"

p.s. I'm just busting S55inPA. His vehicles are perfect!
You cannot tell the difference between one of his vehicles and one on the showroom!

I just wish that he would use more modern wax than Nu-Finish!
To each his own I guess. I used Nu-Finish before I really knew anything about polishes/waxes. I used turtle wax before that, and I thought that Nu-Finish was so much easier to use. But since I've had the MB, I've only used Zaino. This stuff is great! It goes on and off just as easy as the Nu-Finish. The only draw back is the time between coats, but you can purchase a product that cuts down on this time (I've never used this). When ever I use my zaino (car has about 4 coats on it now), I just can't believe how good it looks. It looks a little better with each coat. My last coat of zaino was back in June, and it still has a great shine!! The shine is so much deeper than any other product I've ever used. Now I'm not saying it's the best, since I have not tried everything out there, but in my opinion, it more than beats Nu-Finish. Plus it's MADE for nice/show cars.

Well, that's my take on it. S55inPA, you should get yourself some zaino, and give it a try. I know you're happy with your current stuff, but I think you will be surprised at the results with zaino.

btw -- I don't work, or have any other affiliation with zaino besides being a loyal customer.