Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Choosing an air compressor.......

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-18-2002 | 09:05 PM

Choosing an air compressor.......

I would like to know what types of air compressors you guy use in your garage. Is small better than big? I have a 2 car garage and space is a problem for me. I've already looked at Home Depot, Lowes and Sears. The 3-5 gallon compressors seem ideal but are the bigger(15 gallon) the way to go? My primary purpose would be to air up the tires, blow off water, dust(on the car), sportbike, etc.....

Or is it a waste of $$? I'm no mechanic so I don't pretend I will open a "Tire Kingdom" in my garage!

Also, thinking about a ceiling extention cord roll up but concerned about the cord bumping my show car...........

Ideas and comments are welcomed and pics of garages if you have one!

Thanks in a advance
Old 09-19-2002 | 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
My needs were exactly the same as yours in addition to the occasional need for an air tool now and then. I also have space constraints. In a 1 car condo garage I fit 2 cars (yes 2), a 17' kayak, 2 mountian bikes, 3 work benches, a roll-away, firewood, water heater, trash cans, etc. No room for a big compressor. I ended up getting the Craftsman "pancake" style compressor. The red one, not the "professional" black and gold one. It's small enough to fit under the bench or throw in the trunk or just carry someplace else. Due to it's small tank size the motor has run often to keep the tank filled but, I only use it a few times so it's not a big deal.

The Craftsman compressors have a number rating system. Look for the sticker on the motor. It tells you which number is suitable for which type of tools.

Last edited by avlis; 09-19-2002 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-19-2002 | 11:05 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks Avlis..... really appreciate it. I saw the one you have and it's VERY LOUD. I really want a quiet compressor. My neighbors will complain if it's loud. May I should go bigger.... maybe 15 gallons.
Old 09-21-2002 | 11:34 AM

All advice is appreciated....... still have not decided and still a little confused. I want to air up the tires in my sportbike and my SS and blow off dust and water off those too.

This is the Craftsman 30 gallon/6 HP. Very good power and comes with an impact ratchet and socket wrench and hose for $329.99 however it is LOUD.

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...ession.new=Yes

Or Home Depot offersa very small Campbell Housefield 2HP/4 gallon pancake style at 4.3 @ 40 PSI / 3.1 @90 PSI with a max of 125 max PSI and 3 year warranty for $200.00. This is a quiet compressor.

Or Home depot offered me a deal to buy the CH 3HP/4 gallon at 6.2 @ 90 PSI/7.6 @ 40 PSI with a 125 max PSI for $200.00(regular priced at $258.00)...... somwhat quiet also.

Thoughts?
Old 09-26-2002 | 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
My compressor is VERY loud. I was shocked when I plugged it in. I live in a townhouse so I have to be carefull when I turn it on.

Or Home depot offered me a deal to buy the CH 3HP/4 gallon at 6.2 @ 90 PSI/7.6 @ 40 PSI with a 125 max PSI for $200.00(regular priced at $258.00)...... somwhat quiet also.
Thats sounds like a deal. Maybe I should have looked into getting that one instead if it's much quieter.
Old 09-26-2002 | 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
amazon has a pretty good selection if you want to read other people's comments. (amazon=toolcrib)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...636617-9970252
Old 09-27-2002 | 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
Which compressor?

What do you want to do with it and how much do you want to spend? It is important to have enough air pressure to run your tool...most impact wrenches will work down to 75 psi but they work much better up around 100 psi (most are rated that high).
Max pressure and recovery rate (CFM) are what are important. You can buy a good 10 gal. tank compressor that operates around 80-90 psi for about $120, but you can buy a more compact 3 gal. compressor that has excellent controls and recovery rate and can operate as high as 135 psi
for $280 (Porter Cable). If you just want to keep your tires inflated properly buy a hand-held plastic compressor that plugs into your 12V accessory socket, takes a bit longer, is compact, but does the job. Once I bought a compressor I wouldn't have a shop without one and use it for many things. My advice...Porter Cable (expensive but worth it).