Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

how to maintain a clean car (dust removal)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E55
how to maintain a clean car (dust removal)

I am curious about the safest and best way to get off the light film of dust that forms on your car after a couple of days of driving after you have spent a bunch of time detailing it.

Is it safe to use a detailing spray to keep the car clean (say each night as you put it in the garage)?

Can you just spray it off with water and wipe it down with microfiber?

Do those mop-like brushes that attract dirt work well to wipe it down or will it cause scratching?

I just hate to think that when my car is freshly waxed and looking good with just a day or two worth of dust that I have to get out the soap and do a full wash and rinse.

Thanks

ps: I just did a full paint restore this weekend on my new, used black 2002 E55 with Menzerna intensive polish, finishing polish, glaze, molecular jacket, and carnuba wax -- using my porter cable, all supplied by detailed image. The car looks great but I still have some scratches and minor swirls in direct sun. I could need a more abrasive polish but it could also be my technique -- it was my first try. Still looks much better now. A lot of work -- get plenty of towels!!!
Old 01-30-2007, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to hear that the overall result was good. In time you'll get better at using the buffer and get better results, but some imperfections will always be too deep to safely buff out. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I don't think there are any fool proof methods to removing that fine layer of dust that puts a damper on a fresh detail job. The idea is to use the safest method that minimizes risk. In my opinion using a good quick detailer with a CLEAN microfiber towel is the safest method. A good quick detailer like the Poorboy's World Spray and Wipe is designed to lift and encapsulate contaminates so they can't be easily grinded in to the clear coat when wiping. I typically fold a microfiber towel in to fourths and wipe down a small area, then flip the towel and repeat so you get 8 fresh surfaces from one towel. You can use a car duster but that much dry friction scares me, although some people swear by them.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 01-30-2007, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E55
I have a bottle of the Poorboy's Spray and Gloss, which I assume would be acceptable for smaller amounts of dust, and when I have more the Spray and Wipe would be a better "dry wash" product? Thanks Greg. I really love the microfiber waffle towel, by the way.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Right on! The Poorboy's World Spray and Gloss is meant for very light touch ups and the Spray and Wipe handles a little heavier build ups better. Similar products but a small difference. I love the microfiber waffle weave towels as well, makes drying rather quick and easy, best of all its very safe.

Greg @ Detailed Image