Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Buffer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK320 2002
Buffer

hey wusup everybody, got a question i am about to order the zano waxes ( most likely the whole package) i was wondering which porter cable buffer i should get and from where. i went on kragen and they where from 20 bucks to 60 bucks does the price matter. what should i look for in a buffer and what else should i get with it.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTS
Originally Posted by s.f.clk02
hey wusup everybody, got a question i am about to order the zano waxes ( most likely the whole package) i was wondering which porter cable buffer i should get and from where. i went on kragen and they where from 20 bucks to 60 bucks does the price matter. what should i look for in a buffer and what else should i get with it.
In my opinion...definately do not get one from Kragen's...those guys don't seem to have much of the higher quality stuff....but that's my .2 cents....I think detailedimage.com might have what you're looking for...or just talk to one of the sponsers from DetailedImage...they'll walk you through the whole thing...very knowledgeable group of people.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E550
Originally Posted by c230K415
In my opinion...definately do not get one from Kragen's...those guys don't seem to have much of the higher quality stuff....but that's my .2 cents....I think detailedimage.com might have what you're looking for...or just talk to one of the sponsers from DetailedImage...they'll walk you through the whole thing...very knowledgeable group of people.
2nd that.

I just got the Porter Cable (aka DeWalt) 7435 (err I think that's the model). It is a great little machine. It has quite easy to work with, and you can be a pro on it in no time (at least in your own mind)
Old 02-18-2007, 10:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We sell the Porter Cable 7424 at Detailed Image and some pad kits to go along with it for optimal results. The Porter Cable 7424 has really become the standard in detailing for both weekend detailers and professionals alike. Its a very easy to use machine that gets you great results without the risks of a rotary buffer. Rotary buffers spin continuously in one direction and can generate high levels of heat, which can be very dangerous. Often times people like to get some of the other cheaper orbital buffers. While these buffers do work many users wind up getting the Porter Cable 7424 after.

While each buffer is different I’ll point out some common differences between the Porter Cable 7424 and some of the “generic orbital buffers”. Some of these differences are subtle but noticeable if you really want the best results. I’ll highlight some of the main differences and why they are important. The most important difference to me is the material that actually touches your clear coat. The PC 7424 uses clear coat safe foam pads that are designed to complete each step of the detailing process with maximum results. If you want to remove swirls we have a more aggressive pad or if you want to apply a wax there is a nice soft pad, etc. These pads are particularly important for polishing to attain maximum results. Generic buffers typically use terry cloth bonnets that have several downsides. Terry Cloth can be too harsh for the clear coat and leave micro fine scratches in it. While doing the detail you often don’t notice these marks because the wax is covering them right away. However after detailing for years I’ve come to notice that terry cloths can really harm the finish, especially as the bonnet becomes contaminated. Terry cloth is also very thin which can’t absorb contaminates that separate from clear coat during buffing. These contaminates can grind into the clear coat, where as foam pads can absorb contaminates into its 1inch thick pad. These pads are very durable so you can clean them and use them over and over again. The generic buffers usually have a less smooth orbital motion and less RPMs (PC 7424: 6000Orbits Per Minute), which is essential for effective polishing. The Porter Cable is only 6lbs and very easy to maneuver around corners because you can operate it with one hand. Many traditional orbital buffers require you to have two hands on it, which makes it very difficult to buff very low panels and the center of the roof and hood. We recommend the PC 7424 that comes with a velcro backing plate because it helps you angle around corners and change pads in few seconds. My favorite part about the Porter Cable is its reliability because I really feel like you pay for what you get. This is a super durable machine that you will be detailing with for years to come. This tool has revolutionized the capability of weekend detailers so you get professional like results with relative ease. In summary the Porter Cable 7424 will save you lots of time and energy while significantly improving your detailing results.

Let me know if you have any questions about this buffer. I've helped many first time users get professional like results. I'll be here to help you get the most out of all the products with the buffer. You can also read our How To section for more information. Again let me know if you have any questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image