Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Windows always Fogged

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 03:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTS
Windows always Fogged

Well after recently detailing my car...I want to solve this problem...when I drive either by myself..or with others in the car...either way...the back window always always fogs up...in fact...every time i get in the car I find that I have to keep the back defroster on as long as I drive...does anyone know if this is an issue with the actual defroster or should I put something on my back window (e.g. RainX's defogger...tried this already but it doesn't seem to work/last)...thanks in advance
Old 02-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fog can be annoying and dangerous. I've used the Glass Science Fog Clear gel that works quite well. The Fog Clear seals the pores of the glass to prevent the fog from forming on the glass. I recently had a neighbor take a long trip, and she was complaining about having fog on her windshield everywhere she went. So I applied it to her windshield and she thanked me profusely when she returned. It turned out to also be raining and she was very thankful to have nice clear vision during her trip. Let me know if you have any questions about this product.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 02-19-2007, 09:54 PM

AMG GTS
thanks a lot for the info Greg...but I was also talking about the fog that builds up on the inside of the window...does this product also take care of the inside of the windows?
Old 02-20-2007, 06:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Windshield Haze or ‘Fog’:
The vinyl used on vehicle dashboards contain plasticizers, these low molecular weight compounds maintain semi-rigid vinyl’s flexibility. The vinyl used in modern vehicle interiors vent (out-gassing) these are the plasticizers evaporating (more prevalent on newer vehicles or a dash with freshly applied vinyl dressing) Crack open vehicle windows when parked to allow the gasses to vent.

UV and heat radiation will also cause the plasticizers to dry out, resulting in a chemical film that when combined with road oils, dirt and grease introduced via by the vehicles a/c system results in a stubborn haze or fog that forms a cohesive bond with the interior glass surfaces.

Glass cleaning Methodology
•Use Stoners Invisible Glass TM in a trigger spray bottle and mist the entire glass surface
•Allow the wetted surface dwell time, to enable the chemicals to break down the deposits that have out gassed from the vinyl, any smoke residue, or road dirt/grime that has entered via the AC system
•Use two glass cleaning towels (or clean surgical towels) folded into quarters, use one to agitate the wetted surface, the second to dry the surface and pick up any residue.
•Always use the second towel in the opposite direction that you agitated with, this small difference reduces a lot of problems.
•If after cleaning there is still a persistent ‘fog / haze’ pour some Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) on to a clean dry cloth and agitate the surface film, fold towel to a clean surface
Old 02-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Banned

The Fog Clear is intended for inside glass only. Sorry if I got off topic with the rain part of the story. I just meant that if its raining and you have fog, the fog becomes even more dangerous. She's not the best driver so the lack of fog helped her get out of a rainy NYC a lot easier. Let me know if you have any other questions. If you want something for the exterior the Rain Clear Gel is great. TOGWT's process is almost exactly what I do as well. The lack of any cleaning chemicals on the surface will also help prevent moisture build up.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 02-20-2007, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
when you had your car detailed were the carpets shampooed? I have seen fog form on windows a lot after a car is detailed because of this.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Banned

Good Point! Getting your carpets shampooed can often times leave cleaning chemicals in the carpet. They can evaporate over time and settle on the glass, which then helps moisture to cling to the glass better. This can also be true of protectants on the dash/console and other cleaning/protective chemicals.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 02-20-2007, 01:26 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Kar don
when you had your car detailed were the carpets shampooed? I have seen fog form on windows a lot after a car is detailed because of this.
Well I detailed the car myself and I didn't shampoo my carpets...too lazy to do anything with them haha. Thanks a lot for the helpful information though guys. I will be sure to grab a bottle of that Fog Clear gel and if any problems persist I will look into TOGWT's process (very informative write-up btw...thanks!).
Old 02-21-2007, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
do you know if this glass product i safe for tinted windows??? b/c i know windex has ammonia and will make your tinted windows purple.... i've been using this cheap turtle wax auto glass cleaner that is safe for tint