Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Cleaning the fake wood trim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 SL500, 05 CL600, 91 RR County, 99 RR 4.6 HSE, 09 RR Autobiography, 13 RR Autobiography
Cleaning the fake wood trim

I've tried using the wood cleaner/polish but since this is not the real wood an oily residue remains and attract even more dirt. Damp towel with some mild shampoo seems to work fine but I would prefer to use a specialized cleaner.
Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexL
I've tried using the wood cleaner/polish but since this is not the real wood an oily residue remains and attract even more dirt. Damp towel with some mild shampoo seems to work fine but I would prefer to use a specialized cleaner.
Any suggestions?

Thanks.
The Plexus Cleaner works fantastic and leaves no residue on coated hard wood. I typically spray a little bit on a clean microfiber towel and lightly wipe the surface for a streak free shine. Plexus cleans, polishes and protects the coated hard wood, Navigation/Screens, gauges and much more. It has anti-static properties that help repel dust and other contaminates so it stays cleaner for longer too. Overall its a fantastic product that I can say enough about.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 03-23-2007, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by AlexL
Any suggestions?

Thanks.
The wood is not fake but many people seem to think it is. It is not a solid plank of wood, it is a veneer.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
The wood trim in most vehicles (some older Mercedes Benz model’s use real wood) is protected with a urethane clear coat, polyurethane or a thin lacquer, which is very easily scratched. Remove scratches with a fine polish (Groit's Fine Hand Polish) clean /protect with a chemical cleaner (Klasse All-In-One or Zaino Z-AIO) and then buff with a clean 100% cotton towel

Maintenance- use an anti-static plastic cleaner (BTI™ Chemicals Plexus Plastic Polish & Cleaner) and lightly spray a damp towel and apply 303 Space Protectant for UVR protection