Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Cleaning Seat Belts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 E300 TD
Cleaning Seat Belts

I've always been wondering what to use on my seatbelts because over time they turn a disgusting looking black. Suggestions on techniques and applications I should use would be appreciated!
Old 03-31-2007, 03:26 AM
Almost a Member!

Woolite should do a good job for you.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1987 E300 TD
Woolite and a brush im assuming? Thanks!
Old 03-31-2007, 09:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Seat Belts:
Clean seat belts with a Woolite™/distilled water solution, for spot stains use a fabric cleaner (303 Cleaner & Spot Remover ™) Pull the belts from the retractor and gently close the door on the belt, clean and allow to air dry before opening the door and retracting the belt. Do not use bleach or strong detergents, or dye on the seat belts as this may severely weaken them and render them ineffective in a crash.

While you are cleaning the belts, take the opportunity to closely inspect them for damage and security of attachment, ensure here are no cuts, tears or abrasions (you should always inspect for damage etc if they get caught by a closing door)

After a while the seat belt mechanism becomes slow and / or will not retract when released. This can be avoided by cleaning the upper anchor; as the seatbelt retracts it leaves behind a film of dirt, which builds up over time.

But by taking a Q- tip and some Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) you can clean the seat belt anchor / retracting mechanism. Once clean add some Plexus Plastic Cleaner to provide lubrication.

Caution: You can be severely injured or killed in a car crash unless you wear a seat belt, even if the vehicle is fitted with air bags. They are supplemental restrains only and will not deploy under all accident circumstances. Always use seat belts and seat children only in the rear, using restraint and seat belts systems appropriate for their size and age.

Last edited by TOGWT; 03-31-2007 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with both of the above Woolite or the 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover should work great. I would dip a clean scrub brush in some water and lightly brush it or use a microfiber towel. Additionally you can help prevent build ups from occurring by cleaning the door jamb and removing any excess grease. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-07-2007, 11:10 PM

2000 C230 sport
does the Zymol complete kit come with the tools needed to do the job?

Woolite is just a general fabric cleaner...you can use "Now" as well, right?