Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

3M or Meguiars/wax steps?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3M or Meguiars/wax steps?

I got Zaino but want to try another brand. What do you guys like? 3M or Meguiars and what specific products you use and in what order? I called a Meguiars rep and he recommends .......

shampoo, clay, shampoo again, deep crystal wash, show car glaze #7 then Gold Class. He then added you can top the Gold Class with the Hi-Tech Yellow wax for a "deeper" shine.

Would the 3M order be......?

shampoo
clay
shampoo again
SMR
perfect-it 2 fine cut rubbing compound
Pefect-it show car liquid wax

I know this is very subjective but tell me what you prefer..... 3M or Meguiars?

I want to wax both of my cars..... an 87' black(paint is in bad shape) and a 2001 black(good paint but millions of tiny mirco scratches in clear coat)

I don't want a highly abrasive wax or polish......I assume the harsher the wax/polish the worse it is on removing the clear coat over time.

I want the best towels for drying and waxing....... Fieldcrest Cannon or Royal Velvet at bed bath and beyond?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2002, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
Perfect-it II is more abrasive than SMR, so you would use that first. However, SMR may be all you need. If you can use FI-II properly, then that is all you need.

Neither of the waxes is abrasive, but the polishes certainly are. Evaluate how bad your swirls are and which you want to use. #7 is not a polish, just a cosmetic filler (works like make-up for women) to hide swirls. SMR and FI-II may be difficult to work with by hand.