Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Removing Salt Stains from Carpet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic, 2012 Kia Soul+
Removing Salt Stains from Carpet

Now that I've retired the winter mats, I see white salt stains around the edges and especially around the gas pedal. Reviewing the forum seems to say vacuum as best as you can and then use a vacuum extractor which drops hot water and then sucks it up. Is that still the best wisdom? Does anyone have experience with any particular carpet cleaner? I see hoover and eureka mentioned.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Salt stains seem to come out the best with a carpet extractor. If you have one available to you it usually works great. If not there are other methods you can try too. I would typically spray the affected area with a carpet cleaner like the 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover and let it sit 1 - 2 minutes. Then I'd get a pan of warm water and a scrub brush. Respray the area lightly with cleaner and then dip the brush in the water and start scrubbing. I use medium pressure and work the brush and different angles and in different directions. Repeat as necessary until the carpets are as clean as desired. If I'm using a carpet extractor I would still use this technique to pre-treat stains, salt build ups, etc.

Greg @ Detailed Image