Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

How to take care of chrome wheels???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
How to take care of chrome wheels???

I recently got a set of 18X8.5 all around chrome Brabus Reps. They are great looking wheels and are pretty easy to clean. I usually start off by spraying rim cleaner that is safe for chrome wheels. Than I spray off the rims with the hose and scrub with a sponge with Meguairs Car Soap and Water. They turn out great!!! I than rinse again and dry them with a clean soft towel. When and what should I protect these wheels with???? Should I use chrome polish??? I was told by a friend that I can use that "Never Dull" stuff but i'm not sure and i'm very new to chrome wheels. I just want to keep these wheels shining and want to take care of them as much as possible. The guy that sold me the wheels says the best protection is just to keep them clean and he didnt mention anything about polishing them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by BlackLiquorish8; 05-30-2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by BlackLiquorish8
I recently got a set of 18X8.5 all around chrome Brabus Reps. They are great looking wheels and are pretty easy to clean. I usually start off by spraying rim cleaner that is safe for chrome wheels. Than I spray off the rims with the hose and scrub with a sponge with Meguairs Car Soap and Water. They turn out great!!! I than rinse again and dry them with a clean soft towel. When and what should I protect these wheels with???? Should I use chrome polish??? I was told by a friend that I can use that "Never Dull" stuff but i'm not sure and i'm very new to chrome wheels. I just want to keep these wheels shining and want to take care of them as much as possible. The guy that sold me the wheels says the best protection is just to keep them clean and he didnt mention anything about polishing them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Forget the never dull you will end up scratching them since there is an abrasive in never dull. Clean the wheels as you are presently doing and apply a sealant such as Zaino, Meguiars NXT,etc. Don't use a wax on them because the heat of the wheel will remove wax. The "melting" point of a sealant is much higher.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For chrome wheels a product that I absolutely love is the P21S Metal Polishing Soap. Just wet the sponge that’s supplied with the soap and wipe it once across the soap and you'll have a rich lather. Then just wipe it on the wheels and watch as it cleans and polishes the wheels in one easy step. Rinse the sponge frequently to help remove contaminates and reduce the risk of adding scratches. Another option is to apply a sealant to your wheels like the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. This sealant provides a micro thin barrier between your wheels and brake dust, road grime, etc. It helps prevent contaminates from bonding to the wheel and makes future cleanings much easier.

Greg @ Detailed Image