Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

safe to use wax on clear coat?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safe to use wax on clear coat?

A friend of mine at work owns a body shop, she is saying that if your car has a clear coat on it you should not use wax because it will eliminate the clear coat, and that you should use a polish instead.

I waxed my car last night with this stuff

turtle wax Emerald Series advanced liquid wax
100% pure carnauba blend
(on the bottle it says this)
ideal for clear coats
leaves no powdery residue

I am praying to god this is not true.. can you guys fill me in on this? i posted this in the w203 thread and was advised to come here for the best advise.. thanks....

is the wax i used going to screw up my finish?

what wax or polish should i use for a c230k? and if you could explain why please.

how often should i wax or polish the car? would doing it to often hurt anything?

I just got the car, is it okay if i wax the car after a month?

thanks... info would be greatly appreciate it .
Old 10-09-2002, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
shes got it backwards. Wax will not ruin your clearcoat, polish over a LONG period of time will, meaning using it everyday for like 2 years. So use wax as much as you want, you can use a light gloss enhancing polish every other month or so. That is why I like Zaino, it is completely non abrasive and very durable. I personally dislike that turtle wax emerald series. Go to your local harley shop and buy a small white and blue can of S100, great stuff. Also pick up the shine enhancing polish(if u wanna stick with carnuaba). Oh yea, I believe that turtle wax product contains some polishes to make it an easy one step product, that is why i like S100.
Old 10-09-2002, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you are right after reading the back of the bottle it says "contains micronized polishing agents that correct fine abrasions that develop with exposure to environmental contaminants"

i will try to find the products you suggest, but would like to be able to pick something up at the local pep boys or auto zone.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
try the Meguiars #26 hi-tech yellow wax, best product in those types of stores.