Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

PC7424 ? on PADS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
PC7424 ? on PADS

I was going to try the PC7424 and was just unsure what pads would be best to use.

I plan to be applying Zaino, Z2 and Z5.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-sfxpol-kit.html

Can anyone give me some advice on some GOOD quality pads to use?
Old 07-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I understand both those products are finishing steps that should be applied with a nice and soft pad when using the Porter Cable 7424. I would recommend you use the Lake Country Blue Fine Finishing Pad for both products. This is a nice and soft pad that does a great job of distributing the product evenly and thoroughly. If you would like me to help you select some products that will help you best meet your detailing goals, please let me know. I'd be happy to help you custom build your detailing package to get you the products you need. We also offer 10% off to all MBWorld members when you type in "10offMBW" while checking out. I hope this information helped and if I can help you any further please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-05-2007, 01:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Table II

Foam Pad Selection / Use

Polish / Cutting Pad (*Yellow)
A harder more dense foam composition (50 PPI ) with an abrasive cutting action, for use with a medium abrasive polish, Machine Polish 1 or 2, Swirl Mark Remover, or Autoglym Paint Renovator Polish (Speed number 5-6)

Polish / Light Cutting Pad (*Orange)
A mid range, high density foam composition (60 PPI) with a medium abrasive cutting action, for use with a Swirl Mark Remover, Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Speed number 5)

Polish / Waxing Pad (*White)
A softer less dense foam composition(70 PPI) with a light abrasive cutting action, for use with a Swirl Mark Remover, Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Speed number 4-5)

Finishing Pad (*Black / Blue)
An ultra-smooth foam that has no abrasive cutting ability (80 PPI) for use with Klasse High Sealant Gloss, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, Zanio Z-2 or Z-5 or a Glaze (Speed number 3)

Levelling Pads (Wool)
Are made from 100% natural lambs wool (do not use synthetic wool) are usually used to level a paint film surface with an abrasive machine polish (compound) or to apply a polish to large areas
Wool pads used wet or dry produce the most paint surface `compounding haze' (40 PPI)

4 Ply 100% Twisted Wool
Each strand of high grade wool fibre is tightly twisted, allowing our pad to stay at a consistent level of aggression for longer periods of operation. Choose from 1", 1-1/4", 1-1/2" and 2" pile lengths. Choose shorter pile for your most aggressive compounding and longer pile for aggressive compounding with greater durability.

Electrified White Sheepskin
The electrification process removes the microscopic barbs from the hairs in the wool resulting in a soft and effective compounding material that does not scratch the painted surface.
Choose from 3", 4", and 5" diameters with a 1/2" or 3/4" pile height.

Foam / Lambswool
A patented process encapsulates the base of the lamb’s wool fibres with microscopic polyurethane foam particles. Cuts like natural sheepskin but finishes like a foam pad. Aggressively removes 1500 - 2000 grit scratches, leaving a lustrous finish with no hazing by reducing compounding swirls. Foamed fibres resist matting and compression. Foaming process also creates minute air pockets at the base of the fibres, which improves cushioning and retention of compounds and polishes.

Information Resource-
http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/woolcutpads_feat.html

*The foam pad colour identifications and specifications are by Lake County Manufacturing (LC) other manufactures of foam pads use different colours to identify the abrasiveness or cutting ability of their foam pads, they can be purchased at www.properautocare.com.

Last edited by TOGWT; 07-05-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great info John...I would not recommend applying Klasse HGSG by machine as it is too hard to apply it thin enough.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 S55 AMG
Also another choice of pads that are taking off are the new Edge2000 pads. Use no backing plate like the LC CCS pads and also are dual sides so you can simply flip them. Its about a 2" thick and very good to use on corners and raised edges. Might want to check them out, in the end I feel they are better and cheaper then the LC CCS pads.

Dixit