Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

PS21 wax

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 E-550 4-matic Sport; '15 RAM, '15 X3, '15 Charger SRT
PS21 wax

I am new here and was reading the posts on what members were using for wax and paint detailing. I am getting an 08 E-550 4-matic soon and just sold an 01 E-430. I had good luck using the P21 Polish and then the P21 Wax. Since it was garaged a lot the paint seemed to stay smooth. The last year I clayed it and after waxing it looked like it came off showroom floor.

When I bought the car the P21 was recommended as it seemed to be formulated for the German paints more than others. I have therefor been reluctant to use Meguiars NXT type waxes due to this (more synthetic, less carnuba).

I contacted Mcguiars this week and asked if the MB waxes sold by MB, and that say made by Mcguiars, were specially formulated for MB or just a standard Meguiars formula sold under the MB label. He told me they were specially formulated. It would be nice to know how they differ. I'm wondering what members here have heard about waxes/polishes that may be best for the car paint used by MB esp. the newer models? Thanks for any input.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very interesting question. I'm not sure how a product can be specifically formulated for a particular brand. I could see it being specifically formulated for a particular clear coat though. I haven't heard of too many products that are actually specifically created for a particular brand for reasons other than marketing. I do know that Menzerna created some polishes that were designed to help polish the ceramic clear coats that newer Mercedes are using. This polish is fantastic because it can really cut into these hard clear coats without leaving any haze behind. Menzerna was founded one year before Mercedes (I believe 129 years ago) and is also from Germany and has long been one of the leaders in polishes. This Menzerna PO106FF (Ceramic Clear Coat Polish) is not brand specific but does cater to the ceramic clear coats. However it still does work very well on every other clear coat I have tested it on.

I'd suggest contacting them again and asking for the specific differences, I'd love to hear the response. I don't doubt the formula is different from their other lines, however I'd like to know how it's specifically better for MB. It very well could be that much better I'm just not sure how. Please keep us posted on any information you may find. If you fail to find answers I recommend you post this question on Detail University. There are many knowledgeable detailers on there that may be able to help.

If you would like help selecting some products for your new Mercedes I would be happy to help you. I like to help someone develop a routine and detailing goals that best fit their particular situation. Let me know if I can help you with anything else related to detailing. Also we offer MBWorld members a 10% discount if interested.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-22-2007, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 E-550 4-matic Sport; '15 RAM, '15 X3, '15 Charger SRT
P21

I'll take a look, thanks. The biggest problem in CO is protecting front grills and any metal due to wide use of Magnesium Chloride on the roads during winter. I've seen the metal surface of Toyota trucks pitted in one winter even with occasional washing. It's often too cold to wash off a vehicle at your house leaving only the car wash option - then you lose the wax.

I'm wondering if a synthetic wax would be better for metal surfaces than a more carnuba based wax or even some other product?

As to Meguiars product for MB I doubt I'll ever find out what they changed. I like the P21 for summer but don't think it lasts as long for winter use. Most of my knowledge came prior to the nano tech paint method used by MB. At one time I was lead to believe that a more synthetic wax was not recommended but I see many of the members here use them.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the P21S Carnauba Wax, especially on lighter colors. The carnauba wax is a great form of protection when it's on the paint however natural waxes can fade rather quickly (2 - 8 weeks) compared to a sealant (3 - 6 months). Preventing damage to your vehicle in those long and cold winter months is not easy. My truck sits outside all winter and I cringe at the thought of the damage occurring to the paint and more specifically the metal surfaces like you mentioned. I believe my bumper and trim pieces are chrome clad and I use the same paint protection on the metal trim. I personally use the Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket or any good sealant (synthetic wax) will work. I find applying a coat to the metal surfaces helps the moisture roll off easier and protect the metal much better. I even use the sealant on my glass sometimes to help seal in the pores so moisture doesn't catch in there and give you a smearing affect when you use your wipers. However I would only apply a sealant to the glass after deep cleaning the glass with the Glass Scrub or other similar cleaner. This can help prevent ice from forming as easy and does make it slightly easier to remove. I also like the way it forces rain and snow to roll off the glass easier.

In summary I think sealants are a great form of protection and can help protect many different surfaces. If you hear anything from Megs let us know. I hope some of this information has helped clarify a few things for you.

Greg @ Detailed Image