Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Oribital Buffer + hi-tech Yellow Paste Wax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 07:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Oribital Buffer + hi-tech Yellow Paste Wax?

Anyone done this before? how do you do it? I tried it but the wax kept flying off the the pad.

it's hard to get the paste on the pad as well.
Old 10-23-2002, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
Hand application of a paste wax is more than adequate. I'm guessing you are using a lower powered, 10" orbital? In this case, you are probably wasting both time and wax. The more you apply to the car, the more you will have to wipe off. Go get a foam applicator and do it my hand (using linear motions that do not overlap). An orbital will not give you better results because wax is not a polish, so your only benefit would be for time. Determine if you save time this way. I don't think you are. Maybe I'm wrong, were you able to get thin consistent coats?

If you must, don't stick chunks of wax onto the pad. I would take my fingertips and use the heat of my hand to melt the wax and spread it across the pad evenly. It sounds like you are putting entire chunks of wax onto the pad, which means you are wasting wax.
Old 10-26-2002, 09:37 PM

2003 C320
I totally agree. I use the Hi Tech Yellow Wax (paste) with back and forth motion instead of circular. I use 2 - 3 layers of the wax to achieve the shine I want, each time using a random orbital buffer to achieve an even shine between coats.

Has anybody used Pinnacle Souveran (not sure of the spelling) wax, I'm looking for a wax that is easier to apply in winter and last longer than the Hi-Tech Yellow Wax by Meguire? Please Help.
Old 10-26-2002, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Souveran is one of the best waxes out on the market, but it is not going to last longer than Meguiars. What it will do however, is look a heck of a lot better. The shine is a tad better than S100 or P21S. If you want a wax that lasts longer, perhaps try One Grand Blitz wax or Einszett Glanz.

Otherwise, you'll have to get away from waxes all together, and get polymer sealants (Zaino, Klasse, etc.).
Old 10-27-2002, 01:11 AM

2003 C320
Thanks for your quick reply. Is it true that polymer sealants like Zaino Bros will prevent my paint to breath and I'm kinda apprehensive on applying it because of the cold weather now here in Chicago, and my Black C320 is just 3 weeks old. I hate to think I'm going to use Dawn dishwasher detergent on the finish. Where do you get those products you just mentioned ? Thanks again, You guys in this forum are great.Hopefully I can post some pictures this summer or spring. MB forever.
Old 10-27-2002, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Those against polymers always bring the "breathing" argument. If you wanted to be 100% safe, wait two months from the day your car was built, and you should be fine. Also, Zaino is supposed to flex with the paint. I'm trusting Zaino on this one, and so do a LOT of professionals. The traditionalists still rewax with carnauba often. I was one of those until I ran out of time to detail, so I had no choice. Read the Zaino website, I believe it gives a minimum temperature for Zaino. At the very least, it will take longer to dry before you can buff off the excess.

As long as you don't make dawn a habit, nothing can go wrong. It is was designed to break down grease, so it will rid your surface of oils and ready it for Zaino. Then subsequent layers of Zaino do not require a dawn wash. If you use carnauba wax, you don't need to dawn wash at all.
Old 10-27-2002, 01:24 AM

2003 C320
Thanks again ! I'm off to Zaino Website right away:p