Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Zaino on New Car question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino on New Car question

For MB car, as I understand my Dealer's explaination: they have to do a "clear cut" to abrade the clear coat paint from the factory. an abrasive wax is then applied to smooth out the scratches. The abrading is applied for a bonding process to occur.

Q. Can anyone clarify what the dealer is talking about?
Q. If I wan't to Zaino the car, is it better to request that they do not do this?
Q Dealer says they are willing to Zaino instead but will not take responsibility for result as person doing it is not familiar of the product and it's reaction to the paint. If I should request the delear prepare with Zaino, what should I say he do first?

Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Replies much appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-28-2002, 06:59 PM

2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
Re: Zaino on New Car question

Originally posted by ValueplusClass
For MB car, as I understand my Dealer's explaination: they have to do a "clear cut" to abrade the clear coat paint from the factory. an abrasive wax is then applied to smooth out the scratches. The abrading is applied for a bonding process to occur.

Q. Can anyone clarify what the dealer is talking about?
Q. If I wan't to Zaino the car, is it better to request that they do not do this?
Q Dealer says they are willing to Zaino instead but will not take responsibility for result as person doing it is not familiar of the product and it's reaction to the paint. If I should request the delear prepare with Zaino, what should I say he do first?

Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Replies much appreciated. Thanks
What?????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????

OK, let's back up for a second. I have some questions.

1. Have you ordered a new car?

2. Have you taken delivery, or are you still waiting?

3. This "Clear cut" your dealer wants to do is for what paricular purpose? Is this for your new car prep?

Your car, when delivered should be 99% swirl free. YOUR DELAER SHOULD <B>NOT</B> USE AN ABRASIVE POLISH ON A BRAND NEW CAR!!!!!!!!! In your description above you make it sound as though they are going to remove all of your clear and then cover it with a wax.

I'm gonna give it you straight. Your dealer is an utter fool who has NO idea how to detail a new car.

When detailing a new car for a customer, all the dealer should do is

1. Rip off the plastic covering from the paint.
2. Wash the exterior with car wash soap.
3. Remove any industrail fallout from the paint
4. Wax the car
5. Detail the inside
6. Clean the rims and tires

Unless MB f*cked your car royally at the factory or the boys at the VPC did a number on it, then there is no reason why they should abrade your clear for the purpose of swirl removal. You shouldn't have any swirls!

Ask to see your car before they detail it for you. Inspect it thoroughly. If it looks good, all they should is what I outlined above.

And you made a reference above about "For MB car". There are only two suppliers in auto industry who provide paint to the manufacturers. MB's are no different than Bimmers, Honda's, or Toyota's in terms of paint care.

Tell your dealer to go and fly a kite!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2002, 07:27 PM

1. Yes.
2. No. has not arrived yet.
3. This is for the new car prep.
3. Just called the dealer again. Dealer says that there are 7 coats of clear-coat paint applied. And this clear cut is part of "cut-polish" process done on any new car, any make. The Wax then fills into the scratchers (says microscopic scratches!)
4. Say agreeing to use the Zaino product on new car if I bring it in. Is this advisable for me to do?
5. Will not cut-polish at my request. But says has lots of happy customers.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:42 PM

Well, from what I know about new car prepping, this is not necessary. Why you would want to abrade the clear coat if it has no swirl marks is beyond me.

This is what I want you to do. Go to http://www.autopia.org , register as a memeber (don't worry, it's free) and post a message on their message board saying what you have said in this thread.

Autopia is an auto detailing forum. The people their are very friendly and knowledgable. Many of the people have years and years of detailing experience. They may have been in a similar situation as you.

Here are some more questions you can ask your dealer:

1. Why does this process need to be performed? What will I gain out if it? (ie a better shine, cleaner paint, etc)

2. Why do you want to diminsh the clear coat on a brand new car?

3. Shouldn't a new car be swirl free?

4. What will happen when the wax wears off the car. Will the microscratches be present?

5. Why would you want to put microscratches on the car if it has none to begin with?

I want to ask you:

1. How much is the dealer charging you for this? Did he try and sell this "service" to you?

For the record, this process is not done on all makes and models. This wasn't done to my benz. If it was I would have hung my dealer.

Also, the clear coat on any car is the same thickness as a piece of saran wrap. Do you really want to diminsh it if you don't have to?

2. What dealer is giving you this load a garbage? Are you in the USA or Canada?

3. What colour is your car?

Keep me updated. This is very interesting. Some dealers are real low lifes. Be careful...
Old 10-28-2002, 09:02 PM

1. There is no charge for this service. No , I would not like to put any scratches on the finish if not required. Perhaps, the micro cuts are to alow the wax to fill in and bond, but I am only guessing.

2. The dealership is owned by MB. It is in Canda.
3. Obsidian Black.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:46 PM

Oh my, a Canadian MB dealer. I'm Canadian as well. My dealer didn't do this (or so I think!). My car was delivered 99% swirl free.

Let me know what dealer is delivering your car. Send me a PM if you don't feel comfortable sharing here. From what I understand, all dealerships in Canada are owned by MB Canada. They *should* have a uniform process for all dealers to follow.

Ask your dealer what kind of "wax" they are applying to your paint after they cut it? If it is just a carnuba wax, then it will NOT bond to your paint. Carnuba does not bond. Sealants bond. But they also wear away wtih time.

I have never heard of any special wax or sealant that is used to permanently bond to a paints surface. Furthermore, I have never heard of any dealer that willingly polishes a customers car for free. Most dealers just wash and use a cheap spray wax filled with silicone to fill the swirls THEY put in while washing it.

I know countless people on autopia who have explicitly told their dealers not to prep their cars. They have literally taken it home with the plastic on it. They then do a full detail on it themselves. Their detail encompasses, washing, claying, and sealing (no polishing is necessary). These people don't want their dealer touching their cars, because, as I mentioned above, dealers usually swirl cars because they don't wash them properly. This will then necessitate the use of a cutting polish.

PLEASE post on autopia. Maybe I am missing something here, but I doubt it.

EDIT: Oops, you already told me the colour. Black is a colour that shows every little scratch. Be careful about what you let them do.

As for the zainoing, you can do it yourself. It's easy. I'll post some instructions for you. Don't let your dealer do it because they won't follow the instructions, regardless of how easy it is.

Last edited by David N.; 10-28-2002 at 09:53 PM.