Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Polish Vs. Wax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 11:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 G Wagon / 2012 CLS 550
Polish Vs. Wax?

What is the difference between a polish and a wax? As I understand, the polish has some deaper cleaning capabilities. Assuming this is true, do you wax after you polish?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2002, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
Polishes and cleaners improve the surface condition by helping to remove imperfections and other defects. A polish and cleaner are used slightly differently, but lots of polishes have cleaning abilities and vice versa. Terms are often misused, whether on purpose or not. For example, Zaino show car polish is not a polish at all.

Waxes are simply a protective coating over the paint and may add some surface gloss. You always use your wax as the final step over a polish (if you need a polish, you might just use a very minor one).
Old 10-31-2002, 11:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 G Wagon / 2012 CLS 550
Thanks!
Old 11-01-2002, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
the car is brand new so i wouldnt polish, there is probably barely any need to. Get P21s GEPC (gloss enhancing polish) if you plan on going the carnuba route, if so follow up with some P21s or S100 wax (same thing, but S100 is cheaper and can be found at your local harley davidson shop). If you want paint protection I highly recommend zaino or klasse, these are by far the longest lasting sealants i have ever used. My nod goes to zaino however due to the slick surface it creates on the paint. BTW, check out the washing instructions sticky thread, this will reduce the need to get your car polished in time.