Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Respraying clear coat, saving base coat - Possible, advisable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 500SEC
Respraying clear coat, saving base coat - Possible, advisable?

Can the base coat be saved. Clear coat is easier and less expensive to reapply, and the color matching issue goes away. If this is a good idea, first question:

How to take off all the clear coat (only some is pealing on a single body panel - the trunk lid). Second is:

How to prepare surface of base coat to accept new clear coat?

The third question is:

Will a body shop be willing to do the job or will it make the excuse that it cannot be done?
Old 12-30-2007, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
They body shop did this on my car. Don't know if this causes a paint adhesion issue but I have had my car for about 3 years since they did this with no problems.

They told me they sanded down the clear on the whole trunk, resprayed half with black basecoat and recleared the whole trunk lid. Looks perfect.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 500SEC
Kar don,

Thanks for the information. I thought it might be possible. The idea is to avoid the cost of buying/matching the base coat paint which is most of the expense of the material for repainting, while getting a new paint surface that matches perfectly.