Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

too much wax bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 190E 2.3-16V
too much wax bad?

I was curious to know if it was ever a bad thing to have too much wax on your paint. I seriously have lost count on how many coats of wax there are on my paint. I guess you could call me a bit crazy but somtimes I am just bored and will keep waxing. I love my 1987 190E 2.3-16V and I keep it perfect. But I had a thought that too much wax could be a problem. If anyone has advice please let me know. Thanks -drive safe-
Old 01-10-2002, 05:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2002 CLK 430 Coupe
Most if not all wax contains petrolium distillate as a carrier (thinner) which tends to remove prior applications as you spread on the new. Keep on waxing, nothing protects better than a fresh coat of wax.
Old 01-11-2002, 02:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will not benefit much from layering natural (carnuba based) waxes. They are not very durable and tend to get washed off easily. They do not layer well since they do not seal around the car. The clearcoat can only hold a certain amount of wax.

However, if you are using a synthetic wax (Zaino, Klasse), you will benefit from layering. Each layer seals around the car, giving it more protection and enhancing the appearance. In the case of Zaino Z5, it will actually remove minor swirls and scratches.

The best detailing forum on the internet:

http://autopia-forums.com/ForumIndex.htm