Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Help with my license plate frame

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 01:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG
Help with my license plate frame

Today was another snowy awful day, and after finally getting home and putting her in the garage, I took a look around the car, and noticed that my license plate frame, which is made from chrome, or at least I think it is, was slightly corroded and dull in some places. So to try and save the last of it, I took it off, and tried to clean it with several different products I had around the house, (several different stainless steel cleaners, scrubbing bubbles, and even rubbing alcohol.) After an hour of scrubbing this thing, it looked a lot better than before, but some spots are still dull/corroded. The surface metal has a bunch of tiny bumps that are hardly noticable, but the corrosion still looks bad. So I was wondering what can I use to clean this thing? I was thinking about getting a new one, and thought maybe 10 bucks at autozone, but my dad said it would probably cost 100+dollars!, No idea why. My salesman put it on for "free" and had a bunch in his desk....
Old 02-23-2008, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by AMG Child
Today was another snowy awful day, and after finally getting home and putting her in the garage, I took a look around the car, and noticed that my license plate frame, which is made from chrome, or at least I think it is, was slightly corroded and dull in some places. So to try and save the last of it, I took it off, and tried to clean it with several different products I had around the house, (several different stainless steel cleaners, scrubbing bubbles, and even rubbing alcohol.) After an hour of scrubbing this thing, it looked a lot better than before, but some spots are still dull/corroded. The surface metal has a bunch of tiny bumps that are hardly noticable, but the corrosion still looks bad. So I was wondering what can I use to clean this thing? I was thinking about getting a new one, and thought maybe 10 bucks at autozone, but my dad said it would probably cost 100+dollars!, No idea why. My salesman put it on for "free" and had a bunch in his desk....
I purchased an OEM Stainless Steel one for my car; it cost about $40 but I think it was worth it.