Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Interior Detail for CLS: What do I need to do this myself?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS550
Interior Detail for CLS: What do I need to do this myself?

I'm a newbie to taking care of my cars. All of my past vehicles have been SUVs and have received no cosmetic care whatsoever. What do I need to keep the interior of my CLS looking pristine?
Old 04-22-2008, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
I would say you should be set with MB Leather Care, MB Interior Care, and some Invisible Glass.

I really like the MB Leather Care by Meguiar's because it seems to really keep the leather nice but not make it ugly and shiny.

Also be careful when cleaning the CLS interior, because the dash and upper part of the doors are leather I think.

MB Interior Care can be used on the plastic parts of the dash (like the glove box door.)
Old 04-23-2008, 12:41 AM

2008 F-250, 2007 GL450
Vacuum floors and seats first. I use damp (water only) microfiber towels to wipe everything down. Whatever you use, be sure to use a quality microfiber on any shiny plastics, nav screen, windows and wood (it has a shiny plastic coating). These scratch fairly easily. That’s as far as you normally need to go.

Once a month or so, follow this up with an application of 303 Aerospace Protectant on all plastic, wood and leather for UV protection. I’m not sure it should be used on nav screen though. Automotive leather is essentially plastic coated. For the most part, treating it like other types of leather is silly at best. Someone on the forum may tell you I’m nuts for this view of leather care, but I stand by it.

For specific spills, marks and other stuff that’s going to happen, I’d search this and other forums for recommendations.

I wouldn’t bother with the MB/ Meguiars stuff. For the most part, Meguiars makes mediocre products at best. They are the best available in auto parts stores, but that’s not saying much. Slapping an MB logo on them probably just means you’ll pay more.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have two really good packages (Interior Starter Kit, Ultimate Interior Kit) to help you care for your vehicle's interior at Detailed Image. I think you'll really like our Interior Starter Kit. This gives you all the basics for high quality car care. It gives you a leather cleaner/conditioner, UV protectant and very light dressing for (vinyl, leather, rubber, plastic), Interior Cleaner for carpets, dashboard, console, doors, etc, Glass Cleaner, 5X Microfiber Towels, 1X Glass Microfiber Towel and an applicator for the Leather Care product. This should be basically everything you need to keep your interior looking and feeling good all the time. The package is easy to use and should last you quite a long time. Let me know if you'd like more information about this bundle or anything else related to detailing.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-23-2008, 12:06 PM

2008 F-250, 2007 GL450
The starter kit Greg mentioned looks like a good, gimmick free, deal. The only thing I don’t really like is the glass towel. Like waffle weave towels, I think it has the potential to leave scratches.

I ordered some stuff from DI recently. So far, they seem to be a good company.

Something else you might look into is a carpet protection product. It looks like you could add some 303 Fabric Guard to an order of the above kit. I’ll confess I don’t really know what the best product for that is.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:14 PM

CLS550
Awesome, thanks guys!