Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Detailing my SL , advices ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:31 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud stuff
Detailing my SL , advices ?

Hello

I want to start doing my own detailing so i need some info on what products should i buy for my car.

I've read alot and i know how to detail most of my car (Thanks to Greg) but i'm really confused about the polishing part

So : I prep the car,wash it, clay it and then the hard part comes : Polish

I know this : I will need a PC, counterweight, pads and a polish.
What kind of pads and what type of polish i have no ideea. I do know that i need something fairly light because i only have some swirls on it and i also know that Menzerna is quite good and designed for MB cars.

Next part : Sealant - I know that FMJ is a good sealant but i have no ideea how to apply it. By hand or by PC and with what kind of pad. Also how much time to i have to let it cure before waxing

Last part : Waxing - I was thinking about Swissvax or Zymol tbh but i am open to any advices from more experienced people. Same as sealant : do i apply it by hand or PC and what kind of pad ? White ?

This is the colour of my car, in case it helps with the "what wax" part.

Btw, i never polished, sealed, waxed a car before so be gentle
Attached Thumbnails Detailing my SL , advices ?-sl55-021.jpg  

Last edited by Baracuda; 04-24-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're on the right track and I'd be happy to help you through the rest of the process. One more thing you need to get with a PC 7424 is the hook and loop backing plate so you can attach the pads. Polishing does take a little more effort but the results of this step tend to provide the most significant results. For most people with light to medium swirls I recommend doing a two step process with a medium polish followed by a light polish. For a medium polish I recommend the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish or Menzerna Intensive Polish with an orange light cutting pad. This will help get rid of swirls at the light to medium depth. Sometimes this process can leave a very light haze on the surface so we always recommend following up with a light polish. I recommend using the Menzerna PO106FF or Menzerna Final Polish II with a lake country white polishing pad. This will totally remove any haze, further reduce swirls and leave the paint ultra smooth and glossy.

The Menzerna FMJ is great and you can apply this by buffer or by hand. Since you are using a PC 7424 I would recommend using the buffer with a blue fine finishing pad. This will give you good even coverage and save you plenty of energy.

Any good carnauba wax comes in a paste form (very hard). Therefore it should be applied by hand with a soft applicator pad (microfiber applicator pad). Some of my favorite waxes are the Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax and the Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Edition Concourse Paste Wax. Both look outstanding with an ultra wet and deep shine. They both apply with ease and make the paint look "wet".

For more detailed information about how to do each part of this process please read our Detailing Guide. We have step by step instructions for how to use the PC 7424 for each step. If you have any additional questions about any step in the process or any of the products I recommended please let me know. I look forward to helping you get all the necessary knowledge and products to complete and outstanding detail!!!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Almost a Member!

Loud stuff
Thanks again Greg for your input and time on this !

I will make a large order soon from your website (PC, pads, polishes, leathercare...etc). Now i'm just lurking around on some detailing forums to get as much info as i can.

I am confused about glazes. Some people say it's not good to apply a glaze before a sealant as it has oils and those oils will prevent the sealant to proper bond on the clear coat.

Should i go for 109 or FMJ as a sealant ?

I was thinking of using Menz SIP orange pad, 106ff white pad, 109 sealant blue pad and 50/50 by hand.

Last edited by Baracuda; 04-28-2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Banned

Glazes have pluses and minuses. The glazes add more depth, gloss and help hide imperfections. However I do think they prevent the sealant from bonding with the paint as long as they normally would. How much durability they lessen is tough to measure. I still think the sealant will provide months worth of protection but it may be less the sealants full potential. In the end it's a personal decision on what best suits your needs. If you want the maximum protection it may not be for you, if you want maximum shine it may be perfect for you.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Almost a Member!

Loud stuff
I would prefer having maximum shine for 3 months than having a full protection for 6months. I thought if i would use the glaze the sealant would wear off in under 1month.

So :

Menz SIP, Menz 106ff, Glaze ? (Your advice), CG 109, CG 50/50 ?

I was thinking of http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemica...Shine-II-P192/

Last edited by Baracuda; 04-28-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Banned

That routine has most of my current favorites in it! You will definitely get more than one month of protection with this routine. I think the Chemical Guys Extreme EZ Creme Glaze should be perfect for you, because it does bond well with the sealant. My second choice would be the Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze. Let me know if you have other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-28-2008, 02:13 PM

2008 F-250, 2007 GL450
If you’re ordering from DI you might also consider P21s 100% carnauba wax. Don’t bother with Zymol. They’re arguably not as good as Souveran or P21s 100% - unless you just have to spend more money than the next guy.

Trending Topics

Old 04-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Almost a Member!

Loud stuff
Ufff...already ~800$ on my DI Wishlist, this is getting very addictive

Do i hear a discount ?
Old 04-28-2008, 08:07 PM

2008 F-250, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Baracuda
Yeah, wait until you’ve removed swirls from your paint with the PC. It’s better than crack.

Hope you had a happy Easter!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Banned

Do i hear a discount ?
We do have a 10% discount for all forum members, just enter the code "10offMBW" when checking out. We have some monthly specials on our home page on only some of our favorite products. Please also check out our Detailing Packages section for bundle savings on some of our favorite products we have gathered in one package discounted about 15% - 35% off. I hope this helps!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 05-16-2008, 07:14 AM
Almost a Member!

Loud stuff
Greg, you have a PM. Reply so i can order
Old 05-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Banned

Greg, you have a PM. Reply so i can order
I just responded, please let me know if I can help you any further.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 05-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Almost a Member!

Loud stuff
Thanks again Greg. Order was sent today
Old 05-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Banned

Thank you for your support! Let me know if I can help you any further!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Loud stuff
Thanks Greg !

Menzerna SIP / 106ff + PC Advanced kit + Jetseal109 + 50/50

Old 06-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Banned

Thanks Greg !

Menzerna SIP / 106ff + PC Advanced kit + Jetseal109 + 50/50
WOW that is some pretty impressive results, especially considering it was your first time with the PC! It looks like the finish looks almost mint condition again. I'm always thrilled when a customers detail goes great! If you get time I'd love to seem pictures of the car outside. A great detail on a beautiful car makes my day!

Thanks for sharing!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Almost a Member!

Loud stuff
Thank you Greg. I will post some outside pictures once the whole detail is finished. Wheels, wheel wells and interior are left to do...can't wait to use that leatherique on my seats
Old 06-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Banned

Thank you Greg. I will post some outside pictures once the whole detail is finished. Wheels, wheel wells and interior are left to do...can't wait to use that leatherique on my seats
Can't wait to see the pictures! For the Leatherique products I would recommend reading our Detailing Guide Leatherique section to get the most out of them. Let me know if you have any questions about the interior.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Almost a Member!

Loud stuff
- Greg, i've read the guide...that's all i have been doing in the past month...reading everything, like a super absorbant detailing sponge

Well...today it was time to do the trunk and a full interior.

Stripped everything out from the trunk and cleaned it with APC and a work towel

Pool cues back to their place

Products used :

Gumi pflege on every rubber seal

APC on the door, agitated with a brush

Wiped off

Leatherique on all the interior. Pictures only with Rejuvenator oil on

Massaged the seats using a microfiber glove and left the car turned on with the heating to create a nice sauna effect

Door after Leatherique Rej Oil and Pristine Cleaner

Interior after Rej Oil and Pristine Cleaner = Nice mat finish

Hope tomorrow will be nice outside so i can do some proper pictures
Old 06-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Banned

Thanks for the updates. I can't wait to see the finished product, if the weather cooperates!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-10-2008, 05:04 AM
Almost a Member!

Loud stuff
Well...it's ready. Got a second coat of 50/50 on it today and off to taking pictures. The pictures don't do it justice but here it goes.

Really really need to learn how to take proper pictures and get off the "auto" mode

CHEERS !

Old 06-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Banned

Thanks for posting the pics! The car looks great, very sharp and crisp reflections. I know sometimes a picture doesn't do it full justice but overall it looks outstanding! Keep up the great work!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-10-2008, 12:02 PM

W202 2000 C280
Wow your car looks great...good job! Greg you carry some mighty fine products...I feel the urge to purchase coming on...haha. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nitrous911
Wow your car looks great...good job! Greg you carry some mighty fine products...I feel the urge to purchase coming on...haha. Keep up the good work.
If you would like some help selecting some products that will work best for you please let me know, I'd be happy to help.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-12-2008, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by Greg@DI
If you would like some help selecting some products that will work best for you please let me know, I'd be happy to help.

Greg @ Detailed Image
He's not kidding... Thanks again Greg!

Barracuda - I'm in awe of how your detail has turned out... in all honesty, your car looks as good (if not better) than brand new MB's prepped for customer pickup that I've seen - great job!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Detailing my SL , advices ?