Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

The horrible crunching sound - my mistake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLK 350 Cabriolet and 2009 GL 450
Red face The horrible crunching sound - my mistake

Hi All: I made the unforgivable mistake of coming down a steep incline "straight ahead" the other day in my new Obsidian Black CLK 350 and heard the horrible crunch of my lower bumper lip hitting asphalt. I pulled aside and knelt down to look and saw several chips/rough areas across the center and left side of the bumper lip (black lip now with white rough chips). How can I fix the chips - is there a special bumper paint and should I dare try to lightly smooth the chips with light sanding before applying the paint? Also, where is the best place, other than the expensive dealer to obtain touch up paint and other genuine MB accessories?

Any ideas on what to do (other than what I did) to keep the new car look inside and out? Thanks for any ideas and replies. I know I shouldn't have done it!
Old 05-07-2008, 09:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'87 560SL Sold, '99 SL500 For Keeps
Bumper Repair/Repaint

Litigator,
The link below will take you to a write-up of how this repair is accomplished and a named source for paint. It is difficult to impossible for anyone to visualize how severe your bumper damage is or even if this write-up fully applies without a picture-

http://www.buellwinkle.com/gallery/MB_paint/index.html

Bob
Old 05-07-2008, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLK 350 Cabriolet and 2009 GL 450
Thanks Bob. I'll take a look when I'm back in town and maybe try to upload some pics. I do appreciate your help.

Litigator
Old 06-22-2008, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
that worked out well for buellwinkle, if it had been a totally smooth bumper that would be a lot more difficult to touch up!