Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Help with leather seats.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
Help with leather seats.

hello gents..I have a black int. on my 05C55 but my seats are starting to crack (very initial stages) I use Lexol every time I wax (once every 5 weeks) but it looks like its not doing a very good job.

Any input?

Thanks
Mike
Old 05-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud stuff
You may want to try this : http://www.detailedimage.com/Leather...ine-Clean-P64/
http://www.detailedimage.com/Leather...nator-Oil-P65/

But are you sure it's cracking up ? Real leather will make creases...you can't stop that.

If it looks like that seat it's normal to do so.
Attached Thumbnails Help with leather seats.-inside-front.jpg  
Old 05-20-2008, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
yes but I gotta tell you in a black seat it looks much more noticable.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Almost a Member!

Loud stuff
That means you have real leather. Enjoy
Old 05-20-2008, 09:57 AM

Kawasaki
haha yea I'm with baracuda on this one... if it seems like it's cracking and hard, then there's something wrong with your lexol bottle... otherwise, it's normal wear and tear, and the lexol, or any other quality conditioner, will keep those small creases from turning into cracks and holes sooner than you'd like
Old 05-21-2008, 06:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
Surface fissure (cracks) – this often appears to be dirt (especially on light coloured leather) but is actually micro cracks in the polyurethane covering or the pigmentation. Micro cracking needs restoration not cleaning and is often caused by the use of incorrect products; use of an oil-based leather conditioner and a combination of oils, dirt and friction cause most problems on leather upholstery.

Repeated flexing and stretching of the pigmented leather or the acrylic polythene causes the surface coating to wear and crack causing the pigmented leather colouring to become visible, so what appears to be a cracking of the leather surface is in actuality fissure of the pigmentation running in a pattered direction.

Having lost the protection of its covering the exposed hide allows dirt and dust to settle into the cracks making them more visible. If you use a product that contains oils or waxes on cracked leather it may affect the pigments adhesion to the leather, making make further restoration very difficult or impossible.

To repair use a reputable leather dye that will restore the surface to recreate a new seemingly original finish.
This kit allows you to recolor worn and faded leather easily. The colour coat provided is a water based material that is designed to be highly compatible with leather, restores and renews the colour and finish of covered or protected automotive upholstery leather

Leather Magic (leather dye) – US- http://www.leathermagic.com/Pages/recolorkits.htm
U.K. - Leathermagicuk.com