Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Product to clean seat belts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 W210 E Klasse | 02 W 463 G-Wagen | 06 Land Rover LR3 HSE
Product to clean seat belts

Looking for suggestions on a safe product to clean the seat belts in my 01 E430. The belts are really dirty and considering I have the beige interior the dirt and marks on the front belts really show.

I don't want to use anything harsh that will ruin the integrity of the belts thus looking for suggestions on what can be used to get this done safely.

I am sure someone has had this issue and cleant their seat belts safely........ would appreciate any input.

Cheers
Old 06-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seat belts can be difficult to clean because of the materials they are made from. I typically use the 303 Cleaner and Spot Remover on a microfiber towel and wipe the belts down. If they are badly stained I spray it right on the seat belt and brush it with a damp and soft brush. This usually helps remove most of the build up and helps ensure the belts don't get your clothing and seats dirty with each use. I also use this same product on my carpets, dashboard, doors, console, etc. It's highly versatile and totally safe!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 06-02-2008, 10:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'87 560SL Sold, '99 SL500 For Keeps
Britrover,
Greg's ideas and suggestions are always valuable and accurate-303 products are quite good, a bit pricey, but they work!

For me though, I use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Simple, effective, fast.

-Pull the seat belt out across the door sill completely til it stops
-Close the door on the belt to hold it secure or place a clamp at the fixture to secure the belt in the fully extended position
-Simply and without alot of force, wipe down the belt with the Magic Eraser
add enough pressure to get it clean
-When dry, I sprayed mine with 3M ScotchGuard Fabric Protector

Bob
Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'84 380 SL/ '02 XK8
I agree with Greg on using 303 products

Seat Belts (Seatbelts):
For spot stains use a fabric cleaner (303 Cleaner & Spot Remover™)

1. Pull the belts from the retractor and gently close the door on the belt, clean and allow to air dry before opening the door and retracting the belt. Do not use bleach, strong detergents, or dye on the seat belts as this may severely weaken them and render them ineffective in a crash.
2. Once fabric is dry apply a fabric protection (303TM High Tech Fabric Guard)
3. While you are cleaning the belts, take the opportunity to closely inspect them for damage and security of attachment, ensure here are no cuts, tears or abrasions (you should always inspect for damage etc if they get caught by a closing door) After a while the seat belt mechanism becomes slow and / or will not retract when released.

This can be avoided by cleaning the upper anchor; as the seatbelt retracts it leaves behind a film of dirt, which builds up over time. Use compressed air to remove dust and then using a Q- tip and some Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) you can clean the seat belt anchor / retracting mechanism. Once clean add some Plexus Plastic Cleaner to provide lubrication.

Maintenance clean seat belts with a 5:1 Woolite® distilled water solution

Alternative products –
C-28 Seat Belt Cleaner and Spot Remover from PRO® is a non-flammable and non hazardous concentrated cleaner that safely removes dirt, oil, grease and stains from seat belts - http://www.professionalcarcare.com