Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

P21S 100% Carnauba - help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Unhappy P21S 100% Carnauba - help!

Hello folks - I have a gloss black (040) C32. Always used to hand detail with OTC products; finally broke down about 6 months ago and bought my first "expensive" wax, P21S 100% carnauba.

Tried using it as the following - wash, clay, wax (applied with supplied P21S foam applicator), hand buff w/ microfiber towel. I was disappointed with the results... the wax was hard to apply (it's hard as a rock - so annoyingly hard to load onto the applicator, as the block of wax just spins in the container), and fairly hard to buff off. It lasted okay, but I couldn't get it to look level and even, if that makes sense. After extensive buffing, I would be left with hazy wax residue swirls (i.e. the same swirls from applying - not swirl marks). Even if I thought I got them, I'd later find others... and if the car started to pick up any normal dust or pollen, they'd really stand out.

Recently, I invested in some "pro-grade" detailing supplies from Detailed Image. Service and products were top-notch; highly recommend them... but I digress...

Anyway, I tried wash, dry, clay, PC7424 with IP (orange LC pad), PO106FF (white LC pad), Jetseal 109 (black LC pad). I found the products to be easy to work with, and the results even better than I imagined. Optically clear, eye-popping (and level/even) shine to the finish.

About a week later, I needed a light wash, and when I was done I decided to try my P21S again, on top of the Jetseal 109... and I wound up with the same problems - hard to work with, and near-impossible to get a nice, level shine without any hazy wax-swirl residue.

Am I doing something wrong? Could I have gotten a "bad" container through dumb luck? In testing the wax with my finger, it's rock-hard (as I mentioned), but also feels kind of sandy/gritty, which surprised me (it's not supposed to be a 'cleaner wax' to my knowledge).

Any help is greatly appreciated - I'd hate to spend $50 bucks on a wax that I didn't enjoy... so hopefully it's something that I'm just not doing right.

TIA!
Old 07-03-2008, 11:02 PM

2008 F-250, 2007 GL450
You may have applied it too thick. It should be as thin as possible.

You may have also allowed it to sit longer than necessary. If you did the whole car then started removing it or waited even longer this could make it harder. Try two or three panels then removing.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
makes your daughter horny
This doesn't sound right. On my silver car the P21S came off VERY easily, easier than zaino. I applied it to the entire rather quickly and then began removing it immediately.

I agree sounds like you maybe put it on too thick? I agree the wax spinning in the container is annoying, but it didn't bother me. I pressed the applicator on to the wax very lightly, you don't need very much..
Old 07-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you for the feedback on the product, it's important to me that each customer gets the most out of their purchases. I think the first two responses definitely hit the nail on the head with thinking it was too thick. Quality paste waxes come in the hard brick like form because that is how you keep the maximum amount of actual carnauba in the container. Liquid waxes are mixed with so many ingredients you typically are using only around 20% of actual carnauba wax. For best results I typically work my applicator around the surface with light to medium pressure to get a very light layer of carnauba on the applicator. I usually try and use just enough to cover an entire section (2ft x 2ft). It should be applied very thin so you get about 15 - 25 applications. With most quality products less is more. For example with the Jetseal 109 I typically use about .75 ounces per coat.

Hopefully using less product will help, let us know how it goes next time you try it. At Detailed Image we don't just sell products we support our customers after purchase and I'll be happy to work with you until we get this figured out. Thank you for your support and if you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 07-04-2008, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by Greg@DI
Thank you for the feedback on the product, it's important to me that each customer gets the most out of their purchases. I think the first two responses definitely hit the nail on the head with thinking it was too thick. Quality paste waxes come in the hard brick like form because that is how you keep the maximum amount of actual carnauba in the container. Liquid waxes are mixed with so many ingredients you typically are using only around 20% of actual carnauba wax. For best results I typically work my applicator around the surface with light to medium pressure to get a very light layer of carnauba on the applicator. I usually try and use just enough to cover an entire section (2ft x 2ft). It should be applied very thin so you get about 15 - 25 applications. With most quality products less is more. For example with the Jetseal 109 I typically use about .75 ounces per coat.

Hopefully using less product will help, let us know how it goes next time you try it. At Detailed Image we don't just sell products we support our customers after purchase and I'll be happy to work with you until we get this figured out. Thank you for your support and if you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Thanks for the tips everyone - I'll try to apply it thinner next time, and see how that goes.

Greg - thanks. To clarify for everyone, I didn't purchase my P21S 100% Carnauba from Detailed Image... I didn't even know of Detailed Image at that time. However, I have absolutely no reservation with getting all future products from this vendor - their service and customer support is excellent.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Thanks for the tips everyone - I'll try to apply it thinner next time, and see how that goes.

Greg - thanks. To clarify for everyone, I didn't purchase my P21S 100% Carnauba from Detailed Image... I didn't even know of Detailed Image at that time. However, I have absolutely no reservation with getting all future products from this vendor - their service and customer support is excellent.
Good luck with the next application and keep us posted on how it goes. No worries at all about the purchase else where. I look forward to helping you with any of your future detailing needs and supplies.

Greg @ Detailed Image