Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

Paint chip repair - Langka vs. Dr. Color Chip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 GL 320 CDI
Paint chip repair - Langka vs. Dr. Color Chip

I have a couple of paint chips from an encounter with a gravel truck that I'd like to repair. Does anyone have any experience using Langka or Dr. Color Chip? Would you recommend one over the other? A recent WSJ article preferred Dr. Color Chip, with Langka coming in second, but Langka uses OEM paint you purchase separately, which I'm thinking would provide a better match.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:01 AM

fleet vehicle
I used Dr. Paintchip with good results. Mine is probably the easiest to do since my car is black. I sent them my paint code C040, they sent me a vial labeled black.....

As near as I can tell, the system consists of (solution one) lacquer, and (solution two) a non-acetone, non-lacquer thinner solvent. I'm wondering if it may be some sort of non-acetone nail polish remover (it's a mild smelling, milky pink that stratifies when allowed to sit). I have considered requesting a MSDS just to know for sure. The kit also includes the nalgene glove, some paint applicators, and a microfiber cloth. You will still need a piece of soft cotton (t-shirt material) for applying the second solution.

Basically you dab the lacquer into the damaged area and lightly wipe the excess with your nalgene gloved hand. Wait a minute or two for the lacquer to dry, then wipe the touched up area with the solvent to level it to the cars surface. You then polish the area with a microfiber cloth to remove any lacquer film from the undamaged paint surface.

I found that deep chips were better covered by multiple passes instead of one heavier application.

I imagine lighter and metallic finishes will render less satisfactory results.

The repaired chips on my car are hard to spot, and the $40-60 for the system is still considerably less than a visit to the paint shop.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by qianlimoro
I used Dr. Paintchip with good results. Mine is probably the easiest to do since my car is black. I sent them my paint code C040, they sent me a vial labeled black.....

As near as I can tell, the system consists of (solution one) lacquer, and (solution two) a non-acetone, non-lacquer thinner solvent. I'm wondering if it may be some sort of non-acetone nail polish remover (it's a mild smelling, milky pink that stratifies when allowed to sit). I have considered requesting a MSDS just to know for sure. The kit also includes the nalgene glove, some paint applicators, and a microfiber cloth. You will still need a piece of soft cotton (t-shirt material) for applying the second solution.

Basically you dab the lacquer into the damaged area and lightly wipe the excess with your nalgene gloved hand. Wait a minute or two for the lacquer to dry, then wipe the touched up area with the solvent to level it to the cars surface. You then polish the area with a microfiber cloth to remove any lacquer film from the undamaged paint surface.

I found that deep chips were better covered by multiple passes instead of one heavier application.

I imagine lighter and metallic finishes will render less satisfactory results.

The repaired chips on my car are hard to spot, and the $40-60 for the system is still considerably less than a visit to the paint shop.
Thanks for the info - that's really helpful. I've ordered the Dr. Color Chip system and we'll see how it goes.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
I have used Langka and have been pretty impressed with the results, and that is on my Diamond Black Metallic C-Class. It has a little bit of a learning curve, and seems to work best on long scratches (squeegee method) , and larger chips.

I have quite a bit of really small chips together in a group, that Langka didn't work as well on. I think Dr. Color Chip is the better solution for that type of "road rash", but haven't tried it yet. Though, I did order the Dr. Color chip to try for those.

Keep us updated on how it goes with the Dr. Color Chip.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Banned

2008 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by johnand
I have used Langka and have been pretty impressed with the results, and that is on my Diamond Black Metallic C-Class. It has a little bit of a learning curve, and seems to work best on long scratches (squeegee method) , and larger chips.

I have quite a bit of really small chips together in a group, that Langka didn't work as well on. I think Dr. Color Chip is the better solution for that type of "road rash", but haven't tried it yet. Though, I did order the Dr. Color chip to try for those.

Keep us updated on how it goes with the Dr. Color Chip.
Will do - if I can I'll post some before and after pics with the results.