Detailing & Automotive Care Use this forum to discuss detailing, cleaning and automotive care to maintain the beauty in your Mercedes-Benz.

PC vs random orbital buffer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC vs random orbital buffer

My friend got a Craftsman orbital buffer for around $40 at Sears; he said it worked great, but I haven't seen the results. I just want to know if these random orbital buffers create enough heat to break down the polishes like 3M SMR, FI_II, etc....
If not then I can see why everyone gets the PC, but just wondering how it stacks up. The main thing is eliminating swirls, if the buffer can do it then why get the PC?
Old 12-24-2002, 09:19 AM

2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
The PC is a random orbital buffer as well. It is the top of the line random orbital buffer. The PC can be set to spin at varying speeds, whereas most other obitals cannot. I can almost guarantee you that the sears buffer is one speed.

The beauty of multiple speeds is that you can work in , and then break down polishes much much better.

And, with less expensive orbitals, the motor bogs down as soon as it touches the surface of your car. This is not good. The spinning action is required to break down the polish. The PC doesn't bog down when applied to the vehicle. It still moves at a quick speed.

The PC is also easy to work with on horizontal surfaces and tighter areas. It has a 6" diameter, whereas most other orbtials have twice that. They make it very hard to work on any part of your car other than the hood, roof, and trunk.

I realize it is very expensive, but it's worth it. There is no other orbital on the market that is even half as good.
Old 12-25-2002, 03:01 AM

Yeah thats pretty much what I figured, that the others have just 1 speed. Time to get a PC!